Discuss Help with installing a Zwave module in place of fan and light switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

didymus

DIY
Reaction score
So, trying to do this has made me start to think that maybe I'm dyslexic, lol. I'm actually not kidding. Anyway, let me give a brief rundown of what I'm trying to do and (hopefully) someone can chime in and help me with this. I do a lot of electronic repairs and I've installed switches a bunch of times, but there are so many differences in what I'm trying to do here that it's just kind of confusing me.

So I have a fan/light (dual) switch in a room. I'm trying to install this dual Zwave relay in place of the physical switches.

zwavemodule.png

Okay, now here is a picture of the wiring of the switch that's there now.

wiring.jpg

The way this particular switch is wired is kind of confusing me. So in the box there are 3 groups of wires, each group has ground/white/black as you'd expect, but one of the 3 groups has a red (switched, I think) along with the ground/white/black. Both red and black on the left side are from the group with the "extra" red wire. The blacks you see with the yellow cap are from the other 2 groups then there is a piece of wire from there to the switch. I talked to an electrician that I know and he was kind of insistent that the way this is wired means there is another switch somewhere that also controls the light. There 100% is not.

I know what to do with the neutrals, but what do I do with the blacks and the red wire in relation to the Zwave module install diagram? I'm just not experienced enough to take in all these little differences and "translate" it properly. I need a little bit of guidance. I've already had all the wires and switch separated, and had to reinstall it when I couldn't figure out what I thought would be very easy.

I guess I just don't fully understand what each set is doing. I think I understand what the group of 4 is doing. Red being switched, black constant, white neutral, and ground, well, ground. Are the other 2 sets that have only ground, white, black, going to the fan and to the light? If they are then does that mean those 2 blacks actually have no power until theyre connected to either the red or the black from the outlier grouping of 4 wires? I'm not going to test that. I just want to undertand.

With the Modules wiring diagram in mind, I think I connect the Red to Load 1, the Black that's with the Red to Hot, but then what do I do with the other 2 blacks that are twisted together with the yellow cap? Put them on Aux 1? I think part of the reason why it's confusing is that I don't really understand what a "common" is and what its doing on the existing switch. I only know its called "common" from searching.

I'm going to attach a drawing of the wires in the light box as well, in case its confusing in what I typed out. If you need any clarification I'd be glad to give it. I really need to get this module off my desk before I spill something on it and break it. I've asked folks, but I think I just wasn't describing it very well. I think I'll get better help here since you can see what I'm trying to do.

diagram.jpg

I really appreciate any replies. Thank you!

I agree with your electrician that looks like three way switching with the black and red being travelers.

So, trying to do this has made me start to think that maybe I'm dyslexic, lol. I'm actually not kidding. Anyway, let me give a brief rundown of what I'm trying to do and (hopefully) someone can chime in and help me with this. I do a lot of electronic repairs and I've installed switches a bunch of times, but there are so many differences in what I'm trying to do here that it's just kind of confusing me.

So I have a fan/light (dual) switch in a room. I'm trying to install this dual Zwave relay in place of the physical switches.

View attachment 90455

Okay, now here is a picture of the wiring of the switch that's there now.

View attachment 90457

The way this particular switch is wired is kind of confusing me. So in the box there are 3 groups of wires, each group has ground/white/black as you'd expect, but one of the 3 groups has a red (switched, I think) along with the ground/white/black. Both red and black on the left side are from the group with the "extra" red wire. The blacks you see with the yellow cap are from the other 2 groups then there is a piece of wire from there to the switch. I talked to an electrician that I know and he was kind of insistent that the way this is wired means there is another switch somewhere that also controls the light. There 100% is not.

I know what to do with the neutrals, but what do I do with the blacks and the red wire in relation to the Zwave module install diagram? I'm just not experienced enough to take in all these little differences and "translate" it properly. I need a little bit of guidance. I've already had all the wires and switch separated, and had to reinstall it when I couldn't figure out what I thought would be very easy.

I guess I just don't fully understand what each set is doing. I think I understand what the group of 4 is doing. Red being switched, black constant, white neutral, and ground, well, ground. Are the other 2 sets that have only ground, white, black, going to the fan and to the light? If they are then does that mean those 2 blacks actually have no power until theyre connected to either the red or the black from the outlier grouping of 4 wires? I'm not going to test that. I just want to undertand.

With the Modules wiring diagram in mind, I think I connect the Red to Load 1, the Black that's with the Red to Hot, but then what do I do with the other 2 blacks that are twisted together with the yellow cap? Put them on Aux 1? I think part of the reason why it's confusing is that I don't really understand what a "common" is and what its doing on the existing switch. I only know its called "common" from searching.

I'm going to attach a drawing of the wires in the light box as well, in case its confusing in what I typed out. If you need any clarification I'd be glad to give it. I really need to get this module off my desk before I spill something on it and break it. I've asked folks, but I think I just wasn't describing it very well. I think I'll get better help here since you can see what I'm trying to do.

View attachment 90462

I really appreciate any replies. Thank you!
I would have to say that the black wire is for the light and the red wire is for the fan

Reply to Help with installing a Zwave module in place of fan and light switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net