Discuss Help with installing new kitchen light. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I've been let down by an electrician... twice now. I have a relatively easy install which I can do myself with some guidance. I wondered if anyone can help me out... the single light in the kitchen was a strip light... operated on two light switches. Also there is a porch light that I think runs off of the kitchen? Photos attached to help...

Just need to know what wires go where if possible. Thanks in advance. Lee

Help with installing new kitchen light. 20190531_175632 - EletriciansForums.net

Help with installing new kitchen light. 20190531_175555 - EletriciansForums.net

Help with installing new kitchen light. 20190531_175820 - EletriciansForums.net

Help with installing new kitchen light. 20190531_175800 - EletriciansForums.net

Help with installing new kitchen light. 20190531_175911 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi, I've been let down by an electrician... twice now. I have a relatively easy install which I can do myself with some guidance. I wondered if anyone can help me out... the single light in the kitchen was a strip light... operated on two light switches. Also there is a porch light that I think runs off of the kitchen? Photos attached to help...

Just need to know what wires go where if possible. Thanks in advance. Lee

View attachment 49701

View attachment 49702

View attachment 49703

View attachment 49704

View attachment 49705
That tiling is awful, can't issue install instructions Lee, do yourself a favour and employ an electrician to fit the light half an hours work in my book, someone on here could be close and may be able to help.

Full marks for a nice well worded post with nice clear photos.

Spell checker; "neturals"??

Best photograph you could have taken would be the one that showed what was connected to the old fitting. Then just replace as-was

The cut off black behind the kitchen switch is a worry. Would like to know what's behind the tiled in switch to be sure.

The porch light is already wired. Just screw it back. The switches are already wired. Screw them back.

The kitchen light only has one neutral. It is black. It has one switched live. It is also black. Those 2 black wires go to the new fitting. Make sure the switched live goes to the correct terminal. How to identify the switched live? A multimeter ideally, a neon screwdriver possibly. If the new light requires it connect the earth wires as well. DO NOT connect the red wires (permanent lives).

How many times?
No step by step instructions.

The trouble is that, however good someone explanation is, or photographs, there might be something hidden that throws our understanding. Therefor any step by step advice is flawed and could cause a bigger problem.

We all know how tricky lighting circuits can be at times.

For example.... I think the photo of the removed light shows 3 reds, and 3 blacks split into 2 and 1. Some posts above mention only 2 single blacks.
And the disconnected black at the switch looks like it’s never been connected. Without that, the light is never going to work.

Reply to Help with installing new kitchen light. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock