Discuss Help with job price in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Seanthespark

Hi all.

i have recently started on my own, and have got part p etc, but im struggleing with how to price the work, so far ive been too low by mistake and am not making any thing.

i have been given a bungalow to wire, the job involves them taking down half the house then making it bigger, ill have to refeed the half staying up and re wire the new half incl supplys fuse board etc. the new part will be a kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom plus outside lighting.

they also want temperary supplys put in while they carry out their side of the work.

how much should i be looking to charge roughly?

cheers sean

There are so many variables to this. different sparks use differing methods to price work.

Depends where you are in the country as well (even if i dont really agree with this is the sign of the times)
Work out how many sockets, switches, circuits, light fittings etc etc there are and cost each one according to time taken. (Just as an example)
Are you buying the materials (if you are how much mark up?)
How long you think the whole thing will take you. (you costs and labour)
Inspection and testing and writing out legable certificates.... (my hand writing is not all that good, even if i know whats written)

All need to be taken into account....

Experience will come and pricing will get easier. Just be confident and have the means to back up your estimate should the customer need clarification and make sure you make it known if they change anything once its agreed it will cost xx amount...

Hope that helps a bit....

Well if you are too cheap find out why! Are you not taking into consideration how much expensive materials are? Are you having to run backwards and forwards collecting materials, or keep leaving and returning to the job as things arent ready for you?? (fuel). Are the jobs taking longer than you originally thought??
I cant really say a price on that rewire as i dont know where abouts in the country you are, how many sockets, lighting points are required. How big the place is, so you can judge on cable lengths. Whether there is an accessable loft space to run cables. How hard the walls are for chopping out, as harder brick = more time spent chasing. You need to think of these details and then make a judgement from that. Only you know how fast you are and what is a realistic time.

Pricing a job when you first start out is allways a little tricky, the way i would do it would be to first break the job down into smaller parts then have a good think about what materials you will be needing and write out a list then work out a price for all the items, on items like cable allways allow more than you think you will need, then have a good think about each part of the job and how many days you think you will need to do the different stages of that particular job and how much you want to earn in a day, allways be conservative with the amounts you allow as there will allways be hold ups and parts you have to come back to, especially when working with builders and other trades.

As a general rule i allways allow a little amount on top for the unknown, but dont get yourself down if you mess it up a little, its just a learning curve and in time you will get better with your pricing and knowing your own speed and capabilities but if anything try to go in a little higher rather than lower unless you really need the work and make it clear in black and white in your written quote to the customer what you have allowed for and what you havent because if you dont some people will take advantage of you if they think they can get away with it

there is 13 sockets, 8 lights, 3 fans, a cooker and shower circuit and im in bournemouth,

the materials with cable comes to around 300 quid, ive been working for builders mainly and they havent said that i am slow. im just unsure what to charge. for example i was thinking of doing this one for 1000 pounds, do you think this is enough?

thanks sean

Measure the building area roughly and include the new section, then sit down and work out how much the materials will cost. You can do that fairly accurately. The cost of installation is difficult with inexperience, but I expect it will become easier as time goes by.

If the whole project is a bit daunting, sub it out.

Well £1000, how long are you expecting the job to last from start to finish? You have to think about your overheads eg membership fees, van costs, maintainance, insurance, petrol etc. You need to work out all of your outgoing for things like this then you can add on what you want to take for yourself.
Then from this you will be able to give accurate quotes knowing exactly how much you will be coming out with.
Say your hourly rate works out at £20 and hour. You say right this job will last me 5hours so 5 x 20 = £100 labour. Then add the mats on top and whatever else.

Last edited:
i think ill be there about 5 days with my laborer to help me pull in cables, thank you all for your advise. this it wicked.

5 days to rewire a bungalow???
should be able to do it in a day pushing a day and a half if neccassary between the 2 of you INCLUDING temp supplies. unless im missing something?

also work out how much YOU would be happy with for the work for labour only then double it. that should pay your labourers wage aswell @ £5p/h or whatever minimum is nowadays

Last edited by a moderator:
The tempory supplies should be seperate....

I'd be looking for £1350 here.

I would have said thats more like it,
i worked out somewhere nearer 1500. it is also for a builder so prices tend to be slightly lower for their profit if they give you all their work.
no mention of vat either so if your not registered your materials are gonna cost 20% more than say another sparks.
When i quote i work out total labour i think and materials this will give you a figure, then to double check i count every light/socket or point and times by say £60 (for example) and that will give you another figure. You now have a top and bottom price.
as long as your within that band you wont lose money and also you know how much room for haggling the price with the client.

im going fishing for bass tomorrow. I need some help. You will be paid if we catch any bass.

'how long is a bit of string' has made me smile.

dear O dear.

I would have said thats more like it,
i worked out somewhere nearer 1500. it is also for a builder so prices tend to be slightly lower for their profit if they give you all their work.
no mention of vat either so if your not registered your materials are gonna cost 20% more than say another sparks.
When i quote i work out total labour i think and materials this will give you a figure, then to double check i count every light/socket or point and times by say £60 (for example) and that will give you another figure. You now have a top and bottom price.
as long as your within that band you wont lose money and also you know how much room for haggling the price with the client.

I agree with you. We should keep in mind that there are clients loves to haggle, so you should make room for that. It is important that the client accepts the quote you make, so be reasonable to when quote for a job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Help with job price in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net