Discuss Help with light socket wiring in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JBaldwin

DIY
Reaction score
Hello guys.
Ive installed a new light socket and put the wires into the new one the same way they came out of the old one and now the light is just staying on permanently, the switch will not turn the light on or off.
I assume it’s a quick fix change a wire around? It’s a bit tricky because the wires are all either red or white. I’ve got the earth seperate and that’s in the right hole.
I’m a bit of a DIYer so please don’t be so quick to shoot me down with the “don’t touch what you don’t know” because I’ve done a fair bit of swapping out new power outlets etc and always had a win just not this time!

attatched photos are of how the new socket is currently wired as per the old socket wiring

thanks so much for any help.

Attachments

• AD839CE3-DFF1-4B6D-9217-35A862085F80.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 069A82AE-4109-465E-8B30-32377E3ACB1F.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 30
Hello guys.
Ive installed a new light socket and put the wires into the new one the same way they came out of the old one and now the light is just staying on permanently, the switch will not turn the light on or off.
I assume it’s a quick fix change a wire around? It’s a bit tricky because the wires are all either red or white. I’ve got the earth seperate and that’s in the right hole.
I’m a bit of a DIYer so please don’t be so quick to shoot me down with the “don’t touch what you don’t know” because I’ve done a fair bit of swapping out new power outlets etc and always had a win just not this time!

attatched photos are of how the new socket is currently wired as per the old socket wiring

@Jbaldein you need you a non contact voltage tester. You have bypassed the light switch and made the light on all the time. The hot wire that’s going to the light needs to feed the light switch then come off that to power the light

Hello guys.

‘Don’t touch what you don’t know’ is appropriate here really. An understanding of how a lighting circuit works and how wiring should be safely and correctly connected into accessories is what competent electricians are trained to do.
you may think you have connected it back in the same way you found it but clearly you haven’t. What you have done is connected your permanent live to the luminaire so the switch will not do anything because you have managed to bypass it.
The tricky bit is safely working out which wires are the live feed in and out, the switch feed and which wire is the switch live - I can’t tell you from the photos which is which but a competent person could come in and sort it out safely.
a photo of the light switch connections may help...

Reply to Help with light socket wiring in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net