Discuss Help with lightbulb fitting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Visar

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Earlier today I was trying to adjust the components - images attached in order to put the new shade I just purchased but as I was unscrewing it broke off. Please could someone shed some light on what I can do, possibly order so I can carry this out. My guess is that these components were old/cheap hence why it happened I mean they were so fragile.

Many thanks!

IMG_20180318_222444.jpg

IMG_20180318_222636.jpg

IMG_20180318_224023.jpg

All you need to replace is the drop part of the fitting, so as with what gutterball says, turn power off, take photo's but leave the existing base in place. Just use the flex from the pendant with the lampholder, if lucky the cover will fill at well

Don't over complicate things :)

Buy one of these:-

British General Cordgrip Lamp Holder BC White - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/british-general-cordgrip-lamp-holder-bc-white/48002

It's a new lamp holder. There are two wires you will need to change.

Turn the power off, and remove the old lamp holder by unscrewing the small brass screws that hold the cable in the terminals on the old on. Take the lamp holder and the old lamp holder cap off the cable and replace with the new one.

Naah, you've gotta be standing on a pair of steps or a chair fiddling around with that, go with gutterball's original plan (as revised by 123), easier when balancing on a pile of books. :)

As advised above, agree you should isolate the power at the main fusebox/consumer unit.
Changing the lampholder only is possible, but maybe a little fiddly. 123's suggestion is good if you're not comfortable going into the ceiling rose part.

Whichever way you choose, remember to thread the flex through the hole in the cover of the rose or the lampholder before connecting up.

Reply to Help with lightbulb fitting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net