Discuss Help with lighting circuit in a bedroom please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DanDobson

Evening all,

I have been asked by my customer to set up bedroom lighting in his extension, and I can't seem to get my head round it.

I think he has been to hotel and got the idea from there as thats where ive seen it done.

He wants a bedside table lamp, each side of the bed with a local switch on the wall the control each lamp.

He then wants a another switch at the entrance to the bedroom to control both lights, either turn them on when entering the room and obviously turn them off exiting. I can see his logic but I can't figure out the cable runs.

I have done 2 and 3 way lighting plenty of times so I'm familiar with that theory, but can't figure this one out.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Kind Regards

Dan

Thanks Murdoch for your quick reply.

Will the 2 way switch not then turn both lights off? or will each 2 way switch work independently for each bedside table and then the intermediate control both?

Dan

2 x 2 way switches by the bed, intermediate by the door.

Working on the assumption that you are right and I'm an idiot..

How would you wire those 2 lights over the 3 switches. ?

Personally I'd have avoided the brain ache and just have installed 2w for each light at bedside and 2g2w at the door.

Don't forget the switches for the main light (lights) at each side of the bed.
So above the table lamp sockets, 2 switches - one for that outlet, and one for the main light.
At the entrance, 3 switches - one for each outlet, one for the main light.
You only need an intermediate switch if you have 3 (or more) switching points, in this example one of the main light switches.

Ferg, Telectrix, that was my original recommendation. So I may go back to that, as it doesn't seem to work in my head what he wants with the control of one switch at the door, then independent switches at each side of the bed.

Im sure he got the idea from a hotel, when you walk in and have a main switch for all the lighting, then individual control locally at each light.

Dan

Ferg, Telectrix, that was my original recommendation. So I may go back to that, as it doesn't seem to work in my head what he wants with the control of one switch at the door, then independent switches at each side of the bed.

Im sure he got the idea from a hotel, when you walk in and have a main switch for all the lighting, then individual control locally at each light.

Dan
Could you run that past him then? Individual switches for each light an a 'master switch' at the door?

Again I must be missing something here why the intermediate?

I was referring to an installation where there are 2 lights by the bed, one on each side and in this example there is a 2 way switch on either side of the bed and the intermediate by the door.....

The hotel may have had a programmable controller on the lighting using retractive switches when the main switch is pressed it turns on both lights when the switches by the bed are used it turns the associated light off or on as required.
Don't you just love customers who want to complicate things

Main switch by the door (1-way) in series with the bedside switches (2 in parrallel) - means you have a master switch at the door and the lights can be individually controlled, just means the side switches won't work unless the master is on at the door.

You could then extend it so the master is 2-way and intermediate to allow for a master switch along side the individual switch at each bedside - that way if they forget to turn the master on at the door they can just flick it at their bedside without needing to get out of bed.

But surely the least hassle and easiest fix is a 2-gang 2-way at the door - can't be that much more effort required to flick two switches instead of one?

I was referring to an installation where there are 2 lights by the bed, one on each side and in this example there is a 2 way switch on either side of the bed and the intermediate by the door.....

AAAHH now I see. Daft Idea. :p

You can blame my lack of ability to get your point on beer. :)

Reply to Help with lighting circuit in a bedroom please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net