Discuss Help with multimeter please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

garny

Hi new to forums and also new to using multimeters so would like a little help ppleased just bought a rapitest dm25 from wicks the model listed below and it comes with something called a multi function socket , a little device that plugs into two of the ports of the multimeter .it has two slots at top with a - and + at top with letters across bottom cbecbe with I tiny square slot next to each letter whats this for as it don't say in the very basic manual,
that leads me to next question of does anyone have a very good tutorial on using a multimeter ,
thanks
Hers the multimeter I got

Rapitest Dm25 Electronic Digital Multimeter | eBay

The cbe socket is for testing transistors. I'd warn you not to use a tester on mains electrics, you need to understand what you're testing and how you're testing it in order to understand any results it gives you. If you're using it on battery operated or car electrical equipment then go wild, the worst that should happen is you'll blow a fuse or damage the tester, at least you'll survive the exercise.

Hi new to forums and also new to using multimeters so would like a little help ppleased just bought a rapitest dm25 from wicks the model listed below and it comes with something called a multi function socket , a little device that plugs into two of the ports of the multimeter .it has two slots at top with a - and + at top with letters across bottom cbecbe with I tiny square slot next to each letter whats this for as it don't say in the very basic manual,
that leads me to next question of does anyone have a very good tutorial on using a multimeter ,
thanks
Hers the multimeter I got

Rapitest Dm25 Electronic Digital Multimeter | eBay
and whatever you do...dont you go trying to take amperage readings in parallel either....

and whatever you do...dont you go trying to take amperage readings in parallel either....

Ha ha ha , I actually saw that done, the apprentice decided to measure the Amps of a socket outlet, plugged his (own) brand new cheapy MM in, set on 20A range, one loudish bang later, one smoked MM PMSL.:90:

I have to ask......

Why did you buy it?

i.e Did you have something specific in mind you wanted it for?

Curiosity can have detrimental effects on cats, and other species too........

FFS, do not use it on anything more deadly than a telephone line.

Ha ha ha , I actually saw that done, the apprentice decided to measure the Amps of a socket outlet, plugged his (own) brand new cheapy MM in, set on 20A range, one loudish bang later, one smoked MM PMSL.:90:
I did this when I was about 12, in my mum's garage where I did all sorts of things she would have gone mental over if she knew, and despite the large bang and the meter flying across the room, the meter still works to this day!

Cheers for the replies , the only thing ill be using it for mainly is for continuity testing and battery testing , I'd already tried it on mains before reading the replies here,
I know the icon to put the meter on for dc and for ac and that the black cable goes in com and on my meter red goes on the right and for the things mentioned above I don't need to change the leads about ,

However I do have a question and I'm not about to attempt it till someone explains here but I'm wanting to put an outside light security ligh on the back of house but the switch I'm going to wire it to is very old and the wires going into the socket are all black, no red brown or blue just 3 black wires , how can I tell which one of the wires is blue and which is brown to put a new switch on as there no N OR L
THANKS

Am I right in thinking if I put the probes on two of the wires and I get a reading of -240 the probes are wrong way round so if I switch the probes round and it says 240 then the wire my red probe is touching is live ?

However I do have a question and I'm not about to attempt it till someone explains here but I'm wanting to put an outside light security ligh on the back of house but the switch I'm going to wire it to is very old and the wires going into the socket are all black, no red brown or blue just 3 black wires , how can I tell which one of the wires is blue and which is brown to put a new switch on as there no N OR L
THANKS
Firstly household electrical work is dangerous, you need to understand safe isolation before you can work on 230volt systems. Secondly old electrical systems are even more dangerous, they often don't have earth leakage protection and the fuses that protect the installation may not be reliable. Thirdly lighting is even more dangerous again because it's not uncommon to see black/blue wires or even resleeved green/yellow wire used as live conductors when you might expect them to be neutrals or earths. Lighting systems don't necessarily follow a set wiring scheme or set wiring colours so it's not possible for anyone to answer your question without seeing the layout and being able to test it first.

As stated it would be necessary to get assistance from someone who's competent.

Am I right in thinking if I put the probes on two of the wires and I get a reading of -240 the probes are wrong way round so if I switch the probes round and it says 240 then the wire my red probe is touching is live ?

not with AC, the meter will not read -. it could be that the installation is wired in micc cable, which is a bit too specialized for DIY. to be blunt. you need to get a qualified sparks in to look at this , as if you get it wrong, it could kill.

edit: a few members are in lancs. brucelee for one.

Reply to Help with multimeter please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net