Discuss Help with pricing!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sima24

Hi all, im finding it hard pricing jobs lately, im so worried with people not wanting to spend much money and cowboys undercutting. finding it hard to balance between making a fair wage and pleasing customers. im currently debating over this one, please let me know if you think im over pricing.

standard 2 up 2 down victorian house, all is currently surface, the lady wants all switches and sockets chasing into walls, 6 spots in kitchen, 3 spots in lounge, new 2 way for lounge and stairs, 4/5 extra sockets, moving of 5 sockets, under cab lights, outside light. All sockets & switches in chrome.

I have gone in at 900 including labour and materials

I understand its hard to know without seeing the job or more in depth info but does this sound around the same that everyone else would go in at?

Thanks in advance

forgot to add new cooker circuit and adding spur units and low level sockets in kitchen (dishwasher, fridge, washing machine)

I recon 3 days tops, probably long days.

Forgot to add their is 17 sockets and approx 7 switches

17 sockets and 7 switches all to be chased in + numerous spots to be installed + some outside lights? 3 days is not enough my friend. You will be there all week. If you are happy with the price go for it, if not increase it to what you are worth.

17 sockets and 7 switches all to be chased in + numerous spots to be installed + some outside lights? 3 days is not enough my friend. You will be there all week. If you are happy with the price go for it, if not increase it to what you are worth.
rubbish....no he won`t paul...not if he `goes to it`...
mind you...his call...

After paying your man, materials, logistics , time sourcing material And tax. .. , ... How much you left with? If you think it's worth it. Crack on. If you can earn the same working for someone else, no stress, at the end of the can go home and forget about it. Is it worth it? That is the question.

A little while ago I had a big sit down with my accountant and worked out all my expected overheads and a strict pricing structure for my business and he said to me to stick to it no matter what, no doing deals, no offering discounts! I had to recently get VAT reg also

It's been a few years now and I have gone from winning about 85/90% of work to around 60%

But it's for much better prices/clientele and have been putting a lot more effort into quoting for work and stressing to the customer they will be getting a high quality job with ALL paperwork, a years guarantee on parts and labour and there will always be someone on the end of the phone if they need it!

my profit and turnover are markedly higher than previous years and I haven't been working half as many weekends just ticking over nice

I have also lost a few pain in the **** customers/builders who only ever expected rock bottom prices or caused me trouble and brought little profit, which in turn have brought down my stress levels considerably

It's all good now, but my point is I had been working for about 5 years previously trying to please the customer to win work and doing jobs as cheaply as I could, looking at a price
And shaving a bit off hoping that I would win the job, and looking at it as a failure if I lost any jobs I quoted for.

This got me nothing but headaches and just scraping along making a small profit that just not worth all the hassle

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, im finding it hard pricing jobs lately, im so worried with people not wanting to spend much money and cowboys undercutting. finding it hard to balance between making a fair wage and pleasing customers. im currently debating over this one, please let me know if you think im over pricing.

standard 2 up 2 down victorian house, all is currently surface, the lady wants all switches and sockets chasing into walls, 6 spots in kitchen, 3 spots in lounge, new 2 way for lounge and stairs, 4/5 extra sockets, moving of 5 sockets, under cab lights, outside light. All sockets & switches in chrome.

I have gone in at 900 including labour and materials

I understand its hard to know without seeing the job or more in depth info but does this sound around the same that everyone else would go in at?

Thanks in advance

Way too cheap mate, you'll have about 20 quid left after all materials are bough and will take 5 days min if all chasing and plastering needs doing too.

Reply to Help with pricing!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net