Discuss help with revision in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

amckay

I'm doing 2394+5 revision and I'm stuck on a question.
(Describe briefly the additional action to be taken when a polarity test is carried out at the terminals of socket outlets, and not the socket tubes.)
That's it word for word. My question is wtf is a socket tube?!

I'd guess they are asking if you test at the terminals on the back of the socket faceplate, what else do you need to check? I.e. that the polarity is correct on the faceplate, i.e. the cables have been connected to the right terminals? But I've not come across the "socket tubes" terminology before, so I might be misunderstanding.

Yeah they probably mean the front , sometimes when your testing you can get a different reading if the socket shutters are contaminated.
There you go that's another word " Shutters "

Yeah they probably mean the front , sometimes when your testing you can get a different reading if the socket shutters are contaminated.
There you go that's another word " Shutters "
I know what you mean gmes but I've got my city&guilds thinking cap on so polarity is basically a continuity test in reverse, to prove continuity doesnt exist between live conductors and CPC.
I know in reality its done in one test but c&g want them separate.
I've just never heard of that term used before and can't seem to find and reference to it in either gn3 or bgb :-(

The wording I had in my exams (All of which I am now unable to recall for you) were worded just like that. Using terms we were never taught. I think the questions are dreamt up by someone who has never actually worked in the industry. Socket tube = conduit?

I would say that socket tubes would be more applicable to 60309 sockets that actually have tubes rather than 1363 sockets.
However since I would say that you have not checked switching in the line conductor on a terminal check for a switched socket I wouldbe surprised by the generality of a switched 60309 socket, obviously readily available but not my first thought.
So also a bit lost.

Thanks guys I racked my brains a bit and just put down, checked the terminations were secure. I'll post tommorow and let you all know what a socket tube is lol

Sdl and gmes were right. Socket tubes are the pin holes you insert a plug into.
As for additional checks, that would be polarity

Reply to help with revision in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net