Discuss Help with small lifting motor wiring? Where does the other end of this resistor go? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If it's a stepper motor then I can't help, but if it's a single phase induction motor I have a thought, for what it's worth.
I think the R was in series with the C and they are used to create the phase shift in the 2nd motor winding needed to start it. (It looks like a diy mod - not happy ...). So the floating R wire should be attached to the top brown wire that goes to the switch. I've attached a diagram of what I've in mind. Please remember this is a 230V motor and the wiring is clearly in a distressed state and not suitable for use, in my humble opinion.

View attachment 36918

fyi
1. see: Permanent Split-Capacitor Motors - http://www.industrial-electronics.com/AC-DC-motors/54_Permanent-Split-Capacitor-Motors.html for a ditty on Permanent split Capacitor motor (single value capacitor - ie just one capacitor for both start and run.)

2. see: What is a Capacitor Start Capacitor Run Motor? - its Phasor Diagram & Characteristics - Circuit Globe - http://circuitglobe.com/capacitor-start-capacitor-run-motor.html for a PSCM -2 value capacitor - ie: two capacitors in parallel for starting and then one switched out of circuit once running at operating speed).

it must be to power, as the capacitor must have a feed, I can only think its to smooth the supply ,

AC Motor in this case , it's all about creating 2 ac signals,
one out of phase to other.
To run the 2 coils in the motor .
(as per diagrams provided by others)
Less smoothing, more delaying by a CR network .

Last edited:

Reply to Help with small lifting motor wiring? Where does the other end of this resistor go? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net