Discuss Help with socket alteration.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

barcaloco

Hello, let me start by saying I have very little experience in dealing with electrics and I don't plan to mess about with any cables etc, just looking for advice to plan ahead.

I wanted to install a new eco friendly heating panel that needs to be hard wired, I have a double socket I was hoping to convert to an fcu and a single socket with a double back box.

The socket has 2 live, 2 neutral and one earth, could this be wired to two single units without ripping the place apart to feed a new earth??
Any advice would be appreciated.

First off you would need a dual box not a double and second a spark wouldn't charge the earth to do it for you. :)

I'm guessing the one earth is because someone has twisted them together and slung them in the same sleeving? if thats not the case then you definitley need a sparks in to take a look buddy.

Yeah convert the double into a single, then the FCU next to it can be spurred from the single.

- - - Updated - - -

i knew by writing an essay by the time i'd clicked reply then people would of beat me to it lol damn you lot :laugh3:

I wanted to install a new eco friendly heating panel

If you haven't bought it already you may want to hold on as there is no such thing as an 'eco' heating panel. They're all the same in terms of efficiency but some use clever marketing to make you think they're magic and charge the earth for them.

Intelligent/ programming is a different thing but you're probably better off buying a oil filled radiator and saving yourself some cash and a potential trip to A&E

The socket has 2 live, 2 neutral and one earth, could this be wired to two single units without ripping the place apart to feed a new earth??
As has been said, if there's 2 Ls 2 Ns it's very unlikely that there's only one CPC but please don't go poking around trying to find it. What you're proposing can be done but is best left to a professional (that's me screwed then:) ) Post up your rough location and I'm sure you'll get a message from someone offering their services.

install flush FCU adjacent to 2 gang socket. parts £15, labour £35. , £50 with a MWC. total for a professional job...... no brainer.

Hello, let me start by saying I have very little experience in dealing with electrics and I don't plan to mess about with any cables etc, just looking for advice to plan ahead.

I wanted to install a new eco friendly heating panel that needs to be hard wired, I have a double socket I was hoping to convert to an fcu and a single socket with a double back box.

Get an electrician in, it wont be that expensive. I have little experience with gynaecology so leave it to others :p

I doubt it only has one earth, they have probably twisted the two earths together inside one piece of sheething

You're right, I had a look and there's 2 cores inside, that's a relief.

Thanks for the replies, so the 6 cables could be split between 2 single sockets? I'm just glad it don't need any new feeds because there's no access above ceilings.

You're right, I had a look and there's 2 cores inside, that's a relief.

Thanks for the replies, so the 6 cables could be split between 2 single sockets? I'm just glad it don't need any new feeds because there's no access above ceilings.

Hum. Doing that will "split" the ring

you need to be careful how you split it. you must preserve continuity of the ring, if it is a ring. no use just connecting up how you think, it need to be determined whether it's a ring or not. testing before energising. post your location. 1 of us may be close to you.

Aye, to be fair some sparks do talk trash and try to rip-off...but thats the same as every trade. Think it was tel that said it, bara...expect to pay about £50 for the job you explained, not much more than that - it's not difficult for someone competent.

Get an electrician in, it wont be that expensive. I have little experience with gynaecology so leave it to others :p
look richy...you and i both know you might as well talk to the bloody wall....
its all about let them go ahead and do it ...now, (as long as its their own property and their not renting it....or doing works that require a level of competancy they dont possess...then let them get on with it....
but when it all goes ---- up...

Reply to Help with socket alteration.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net