Discuss Help with SP motor please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

radiohead

I'd really appreciate some help with a single phase motor driving a mixing machine. Firstly let me state now I have little experience of motors but am trying to help out a client. The mixer mechanics were fully serviced by others with new bearings and runs smoothly. Before being serviced the 125 mf cap had burnt out, and after the service I was asked to replace the cap like for like to get it running. It burnt out again. A second new cap is clearly going the same way.
Question is are the caps wired correctly,(it's an old motor and has clearly been messed with) and if so what other reason might be the cause?
I have included a pic of the motor plate and a diagram of how the 80 and 125mf caps are currently connected.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Help with SP motor please IMG_1475.JPG - EletriciansForums.netHelp with SP motor please IMG_1476.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

From the sizes that is the start capacitor and one of the most common causes of failure is the start sequence not disconnecting quick enough over a period of time.

Ok, I attempted to work out how the existing connections were configured but the connection box was a rats nest. So I disconnected the whole lot, traced the start and run windings along with the centrifugal switch and reconnected, which was scary with my limited motor experience. It now starts and runs without the start cap cooking. So it must have been wrongly connected, I wonder whether the start cap was not connected through the centrifugal switch? Would that cause the cap to cook?

Start caps are different to run caps in their construction. They obviously had it connected incorrectly so well done for correcting it. Leave a start cap connected for too long and it won't survive, they are not continuous duty.

Last edited:
Just as westward10 said - start capacitors are not rated for continuous use.

Generally motors caps in the 2uF or so range will be plastic film and low loss, they can run with a few amps all the time no problem.

But caps in the 10uF+ range are almost certainly non-polarised electrolytic types. They usually have a limited running current as their internal impedance can be in the fractional ohm range so they get hot with a few amps running for any length of time. When hot the lifetime can be in the 1000 hours or less region, that is much the same as Ye Olde Filament Lamp!

Reply to Help with SP motor please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock