Discuss Help with this question please!!!! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

asoe209

in a post i dont before i asked about course im almost into a college just waiting on results for a text we done yesterday.

my question now is it possibale to work in the trade not knowing any thing about it. how do you start. where do you start please some one help me. im new to the whole thing and dont know any thing yet.

I also live in london if that makes a differences to any thing.

Yes you can work in the trade & not know anything.
It's called being an apprentice or sparkys mate, you will be taught all you need to know but pay is a little on the light side.
Good luck.

Yes you can work in the trade & not know anything.
It's called being an apprentice or sparkys mate, you will be taught all you need to know but pay is a little on the light side.
Good luck.

so how do you go about getting a job in this field not knowing any thing. every thing i have searched online just seems not be what im looking for. I cant wait a hole year again and run the risk of not getting in a second time.

:(

1) Get the yellow pages out and phone all the electricians in your area.

2) Get up early, go to a local electrical wholsaler, put sign round neck saying who you are and what you want to do.

3) Go round to building sites in your area and ask the sparks.

Be quick, colleges are enroling NOW and are filling up fast.

1) Get the yellow pages out and phone all the electricians in your area.

2) Get up early, go to a local electrical wholsaler, put sign round neck saying who you are and what you want to do.

3) Go round to building sites in your area and ask the sparks.

Be quick, colleges are enroling NOW and are filling up fast.

Ill have to try that but the college part is to late the only one that was left that where take people looks like that aint taking me. i went there last night and we had to sit a test. they where going to call every one that passed this morning and i aint had the call yet.

so the plan now is to do the yellow pages idea and see if any one is will to take me on till i can get into college.

but this has made me fell really down now. why do good guys never catch a brake.

asoe209

I seem to remember you asking the same questions a few months ago and you received the same answers.

Did you not take our advice then? It would seem not. :(

asoe209

I seem to remember you asking the same questions a few months ago and you received the same answers.

Did you not take our advice then? It would seem not. :(

Idid take the advise and went looking for the college cousre. my old question was weather to do it by home learning.

now i have no option but to try and be a mate and take that pay cut to get to where i want to be. Its just it seems really hard and i cant see many people wanting to take some one on that knows nothing do you get where im coming from there.

Yes I do get where your coming form but your no different from many other people out there who are in the same boat as you I'm afraid.

Re-read Spark-doctor's advice, follow it through and keep us posted of your progress.

Good luck.

Yes I do get where your coming form but your no different from many other people out there who are in the same boat as you I'm afraid.

Re-read Spark-doctor's advice, follow it through and keep us posted of your progress.

Good luck.

i understand that. and i will take all the advise given and just hope for the best with it.

Bane one last thing if you could advise. when you call these people what do you say to them.

Hello im just trying to find out if you have a posation for an electrican's mate. im trying to get into the field and i was hope you may be able to offer me some thing.

does that sound ok.

You may think No2 funney but that is how i found my apprentice. Thought if this kid is willing to go to these lenghts to get a job there must be something there so after a chat and a cup of coffee i decided to take him on. starts college in 3 weeks.

I only have to pay his over time (which is very limeted) :rolleyes:and his PPE but i have kicked in with a few extras;)

Yeah basically.

"Hi, just phoning to see if you have any vacancies for a labourer/electricians mate? (Tell them about yourself, what site experience, if any, you have. Mention your going to college, doing a course, whatever)"

Just take it fom there. Try not to be nervous, LISTEN to what they say to you, speak SLOWLY (But not to the extent you sund stupid) and CLEARLY.

You might screw up the first couple of times but take them as practice runs to perfect your pitch.

Most important: RELAX

Get your local papers, look in the classifieds where electricians advertise and phone them up.

Thanks bane and every one for there input on this matter.

Now this may sound dumb/ silly but when i call these places if there is like a receptionist there should i just be asking for the manager.

or is it not like that for some reason i have got it in my head that its like a company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some will, some won't.

Obviously if your calling a mobile number, chances are you getting through to the main man himself, it's only going to be major firms like Airedale Mechanical and Electrical (for example) who'll have the receptionist etc.

Make a few calls and let us know how you get on.

but i have kicked in with a few extras;)

When I first started doing machine tools the gaffer dropped one of these in my toolbox and said "keep that round your neck, if you're EVER in doubt about something being live/dead and before you reach for it, drop that across it, make it instinct OK."

Still got it 20yrs later, and it's saved the sidecutters more than once.

i would start out as a labourer or storeman, you will learn loads and if you get on with a jib firm the money will be good too!

Hay guy just a little update on things. im still in the process of phoning these people but i thought i would send a letter out to these people as well to show more intrested I was hope you guys could have a little read and see what you think.

I am writing to enquire about possible vacancies within your company.

I have been working for Southwark PCT as an Administrator for the past three years and am now looking to further my career. In my current role I have become frustrated at the lack of personal development and career progression available and I am seeking a completely new challenge.

I plan to enrol on an electrical installation/ electrical Technology level 2 but have been successful in this so far. My aim now is to try and work along side some one as an apprentice or electrician's mate and gather as much knowledge as i can and use this to my advantage for when i do get into a course to become qualified.

I hope that this is some thing that you can help me with.

I am willing to attend any relevant training courses to gain qualifications which can help to start a new career.

I have attached my CV for your reference but would happy to meet with you in person.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours Sincerely,
Mr L. Simpson

I'd like to see other peoples views on this.

Personally, I think it's pretty similiar (in some context) to letters I send out.

On one hand, I think it's formal, concise and the kind of thing you expect for an office job application.

On the other hand, this letter is going out to hairy arse builders who MAY want it short and sweet and to the point.

I dont expect you to change it on my input ASOE209, I'm just giving my personal opinion.

Like I said, I'd like to see other people's opinions on this.

I am writing to enquire about vacancies within your company.

I have been working for Southwark PCT as an Administrator for the past three years and am now looking for a completely new challenge and change of career.

I would like to gain some hands on experience as either a labourer, apprentice or an electricians mate.

I plan to enrol on the City&Guilds 2330 electrical installation/ electrical technology level 2 and I am willing to attend any other relevant training courses which can help me complete my training to eventually become a fully qualified electrician (at my own personal expense if need be).

I have attached my CV for your perusal and would be more than happy to meet with you in person, should you require.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours Sincerely,
Mr L. Simpson

Maybe something like that?

Good luck with this Asoe, can't add much to SparkDoc's point about getting yourself out there and in front of them & Bane's suggestions, particularly his suggested line...
to eventually become a fully qualified electrician (at my own personal expense if need be).
It gives the right impression that this is something you're totally committed to.

PCT Admin eh? can't imagine how you stuck that for 3yrs but oh boy would I like to pick your brains over a few sherberts. Good man! go for it.

Oh yeah! spotted a typo as well, gotta be scrupulous with application letters...
....but have been successful in this so far.
shouldn't that have been UNsuccessful...?
Easy to miss but important, double check it and then ask someone else to 'proof read' it before sending.

Reply to Help with this question please!!!! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock