Discuss Help with tomorrows interview, please in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Due to the help from all of the electricians on this forum from my last post I have managed to land an interview, tomorrow. (Thank you!)

I've gone through various interview techniques recently but it has been some years since my real last one (8 years)
I'm applying for an entry level electricians mate/apprentice role as I have just got my level 3

What can I expect an electrical interviewer to be asking? (hes also a consultant for the company, so he's very knowledgeable, I believe.)

It says he may be asking technical questions; I'm going to revise some main onsite guide information as well just in case.

Any help would be brilliant

I would imagine it's not going to be that Technical Dan, may be some simple questions about why you feel they should employ you, you could bone up on the upcoming 18th implementation, and how you think it will impact on the trade. How do you feel about taking 18th update courses, you may want to ask about training opportunities, PPE, Tooling questions, not sure on the site card issues as I never needed them, I have interviewed people, but that was in a closed environment. Don't forget Mobile OFF, wear smart clothing, firm handshake, and most important thank the board for their time taken to interview you. And good luck.

If you're applying for an entry level mate/improver job then the questions should reflect that, and be questions you could reasonably be expected to know the answers to.
In my last interview I was asked questions about things like tripping times, maximum Ze, part numbers and EICR codings, but the position was for approved electrician.
You might get asked about things like cable types or testing procedure, but it's impossible for me to say.

Thank you very much for your input, it is certainly a great insight into what I may come across; very short notice and still, very solid replies.
I'm going to brush up on some basic regulations from the onsite guide such as special location distances and typical earthing arrangement questions that may arise.

Thank you again.

Thank you very much for your input, it is certainly a great insight into what I may come across; very short notice and still, very solid replies.
I'm going to brush up on some basic regulations from the onsite guide such as special location distances and typical earthing arrangement questions that may arise.

Thank you again.
Remember to find out about the company you want to join - this will help

Don't worry about the questions too much

My old tradesman (of 30 years ago) was interviewed by a gaffer who was a glorified flunkee with no electrical knowledge
He asked my tradesman what size cable he would wire an immerser, he replied what size of immerser :D which stumped the interviewer

Oh a normal one was the reply

His reply was single phase or three phase

He then gave an answer he was expecting with caveats about cable runs etc.

@OP.so how did the interview go then?
I have to honest, I absolutely nailed it!
Interviewer stated in confidence that there was several others that he thought didn't meet the companies criteria but felt I was too good for the company :D

I can't stress how overwhelmed I felt hearing his words,
I was applying for the electricians mate role and was given 3 sheets of questions relating to different areas from the on site guide (7671) from memory and some calculations relating to Zs figures; very pleased with myself for brushing up on the regulations last night and this morning and digging deep into the companies history.

(The question sheets provided are the same he gives to all candidates, whether they be mates/apprentices/ electricians or approved electricians, but stated that the higher the role the more questions he expects to be correct, I think I got 75% correct at least.)

This site, full of experienced electricians such as yourself is a blessing to people like me, I love trawling the forum when I get in from work for half an hour to see whats hit the fan etc ;)

Reply to Help with tomorrows interview, please in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net