Discuss Help with understanding Import /export on 2 phase supply. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Newbie so forgive me if asking stupid questions.
We have a 3 phase supply to the property and a 3 phase meter although only 2 phases are in use. I have just had 3KW pv system installed on roof and single phase inverter in the loft. The electrician said he would join the pv array to phase 1. Does this mean that when I am using appliances that are connected to phase 2 then I will always be importing from the grid even if my panels are generating excess power at the time?

I'm not sure how to tell which circuits are on which phase of the supply. There are 2 consumer units, is it as simple as looking at the descriptions under each rcd circuit breaker?
1 unit contains circuit breakers labelled with all the normal household rings eg. lighting , sockets, double oven. the other consumer unit has rcds labelled with underfloor heating and combi oven.

My most power hungry "appliance" is the electric underfloor heating in the kitchen diner which has 2 x 17w/m cables rated at 2920W each. My plan was to set the timer so that they only heat up in daylight hrs so that I would use up my generated supply. If these badboys are on phase 2 then am I not going to maximise my bill reduction benefit of the pv array?

On bright sunny days with my baseline (alwayson) appliances running I can see that the importing meter led goes solid and stays solid even if I run w/machine and dishwasher etc. But it starts blinking fast again as soon as I switch on the underfloor heating. Is this just because the total load is more than I am generating or is it because I can't offset my generation against the load on phase 2?

Feel like I should have asked these questions before installation but then again they did the survey and designed the system knowing I had a multiphase supply and didn't discuss with me about any implications this would have on the system design or energy saving.

Would be really grateful for any advice / clarification, many thanks

If your 3 phase meter meets current standards then the power it records as used is the NET power across the phases. So you can be exporting on one and importing on the other and net power could be positive, zero or negative. I do not have a link to hand but you will find docs on the web about this. You will also find a list of meters that comply iirc.

Reply to Help with understanding Import /export on 2 phase supply. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock