Discuss Help with wireless switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ninjagull

DIY
Reaction score
Hello.

I am looking for some advice. After changing door opening into our kitchen, the light switches are now on the wrong side of door. I found what I thought is the ideal solution in the form of self powered wireless switch and receiver kit. A Curv360 CV05 wireless switch and receiver;

Now the manual on page 10 (see attached) shows wiring on the receiver requiring Live, Neutral and switched Live.

When I examined my light socket there seems to be only two wires, A black one going into L1 and a red one going into COM. I am not sure how I should wire the CV05 receiver as I have no neutral to connect to!

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Attachments

• IMG_4273.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 20
  • receiver wiring.png
    340.9 KB · Views: 27
Unfortunately, there is no way to wire this up in the position you want to without pulling a neutral cable down to it.

there are wireless switches and smart switches available that do not require a neutral.

Unfortunately, there is no way to wire this up in the position you want to without pulling a neutral cable down to it.

there are wireless switches and smart switches available that do not require a neutral.
Dear James

Many thanks for your reply. I will look out for some 'no neutral' zero energy light switches and receivers. Have not found anything suitable just yet so if anyone has any models they can recommend I would appreciate any suggestions.

Best wishes

Ian

Dear James

Many thanks for your reply. I will look out for some 'no neutral' zero energy light switches and receivers. Have not found anything suitable just yet so if anyone has any models they can recommend I would appreciate any suggestions.

Best wishes

Ian
Quinetec switch and receiver. as the switch is wireless communication with the receiver, and is activated simply by pressing it, the switch is totally wire free and you can mount it anywhere, even on a window. just locate the receiver in the ceiling void next to the light, getting it's power from the permanent L and N in the light fitting.

LightwaveRF doesnt need a neutral, and can be linked to internet to make them Smart (also known as expensive!) switches.

Quinetic for me too.... no power needed for transmitter, receiver built into the light, just leave the switch thats now in the wrong place on all the time.

What you’ve got will do the same as a Quinetec switch, just put the relay in the ceiling at the light, will take electrician 10 minutes to do it for you.

Hello.

I am looking for some advice. After changing door opening into our kitchen, the light switches are now on the wrong side of door. I found what I thought is the ideal solution in the form of self powered wireless switch and receiver kit. A Curv360 CV05 wireless switch and receiver;

Now the manual on page 10 (see attached) shows wiring on the receiver requiring Live, Neutral and switched Live.

When I examined my light socket there seems to be only two wires, A black one going into L1 and a red one going into COM. I am not sure how I should wire the CV05 receiver as I have no neutral to connect to!

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ian
You really need a qualified electrician to carry this work. The switch takes its live feed from the lighting circuit, commonly located in the ceiling where you may have a ceiling rose that has a live & neutral feed in and out. This requires a competent person to disconnect the switch feed in the ceiling. This switch feed is the live feed for the receiver. You then have a switch/load live that goes to the luminaire from the receiver which is activated via the wireless switch. Neutral and cpc also need to be continuous.
The receiver is usually placed in the ceiling and needs to be either maintenance free of accessible for maintenance purposes - again, I would highly recommend a qualified competent electrician be employed to carry out this work...

You really need a qualified electrician to carry this work. The switch takes its live feed from the lighting circuit, commonly located in the ceiling where you may have a ceiling rose that has a live & neutral feed in and out. This requires a competent person to disconnect the switch feed in the ceiling. This switch feed is the live feed for the receiver. You then have a switch/load live that goes to the luminaire from the receiver which is activated via the wireless switch. Neutral and cpc also need to be continuous.
The receiver is usually placed in the ceiling and needs to be either maintenance free of accessible for maintenance purposes - again, I would highly recommend a qualified competent electrician be employed to carry out this work...
Many thanks for all of your replies. As egg67 pointed out the switch and receiver that I have will do the same as Quintec ones. I have looked at my ceiling rose and there does not seem to be a neutral there either! See attached.

Attachments

• IMG_4320.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 15
Many thanks for all of your replies. As egg67 pointed out the switch and receiver that I have will do the same as Quintec ones. I have looked at my ceiling rose and there does not seem to be a neutral there either! See attached.
The black cable is the neutral. the live is the red cable which seems to be tucked behind the ceiling rose - these should be connected to the ceiling rose in the middle block marked ‘loop’. Don’t know why it has been done this way but I would get an electrician in to sort it out and make it safe - many a fire starts with connections like that - all it takes is a poor connection generating excessive heat In the ceiling void where there may be combustables such as saw dust, wood shavings and wooden joists.
if nothing else you have shown that there may be issues with your wiring that need attention. Quick fixes generally for a competent electrician

The black cable is the neutral. the live is the red cable which seems to be tucked behind the ceiling rose - these should be connected to the ceiling rose in the middle block marked ‘loop’. Don’t know why it has been done this way but I would get an electrician in to sort it out and make it safe - many a fire starts with connections like that - all it takes is a poor connection generating excessive heat In the ceiling void where there may be combustables such as saw dust, wood shavings and wooden joists.
if nothing else you have shown that there may be issues with your wiring that need attention. Quick fixes generally for a competent electrician
Many thanks Snailspark.

I was hoping this would be a simple job but alas no! I will get an electrician in who knows what they are doing! Thanks again for you advice.

Ian

Also, it looks like an earth cable has broken away from the terminal.

Really needs looking at by someone competent

Reply to Help with wireless switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net