Discuss Help with wiring a light fixture please in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I had a working ceiling light fixture in a closet that was swapped out for a new LED light by a family member. The old fixture was working fine but unfortunately the wiring was not documented before it got disconnected and my family member ran into some issues figuring out how to connect the new fixture correctly. This closet light is on the same circuit as a bathroom above it and hallway/ceiling lights in the living room next to it. We've tried a number of wiring configurations - the first one nothing worked (not the fixture nor any of the other lights on the circuit). The second all of the lights on the circuit worked except the fixture in question. The third the fixture worked but all of the other lights on the circuit only worked when the fixture was turned on.

I've included a diagram showing what we have tried so far in hopes that maybe one of you can help us to figure out where we are going wrong.... (There's also a diagram of the switch box for the fixture which we haven't changed anything in.)

One thing in particular to me that seems odd is that the white wire going into the nut from the switch is hot, but none of the other white wires going into the nut seem to be. Based on my extremely limited knowledge of electricity, I would have thought that if they are all in the same nut together all would be live if one is?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!Wiring Diagram.pngý

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Help with wiring a light fixture please in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net