Discuss Help with wiring a shower switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Paul197883

Hello there,

I need to sense check a shower switch wiring diagram. I've removed the old shower switch (broken cord) and have a new one ready to go. I'm sure it's a generic stamp on the switch but the old one says 'MAINS' inbetween the L and the N. The new one says 'AC only' between two neutrals.

I'm pretty sure these are not specific to the wiring and just stamps on the switch but can someone check my attached photos and confirm everything is okay?

Also, does it matter which earth wire goes in which earth socket as the bracket holding them in the new switch is at right angles ?
Help with wiring a shower switch img1 - EletriciansForums.net Help with wiring a shower switch img1.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
That’ll be ok. Earth can go in any of the earth terminals.
One thing, is it the photo, or are the black/red conductors smaller than the brown/blue ones?

Hello there,

I need to sense check a shower switch wiring diagram. I've removed the old shower switch (broken cord) and have a new one ready to go. I'm sure it's a generic stamp on the switch but the old one says 'MAINS' inbetween the L and the N. The new one says 'AC only' between two neutrals.

I'm pretty sure these are not specific to the wiring and just stamps on the switch but can someone check my attached photos and confirm everything is okay?

Also, does it matter which earth wire goes in which earth socket as the bracket holding them in the new switch is at right angles ?
View attachment 40224 View attachment 40225
If it was just the cord broken, why bother to change the complete switch, there doesn't appear to be a neon indicator on the replacement.
The Bathroom or shower room constitute a "special location" the Shower is a high current user and thus will require an experienced person to change the switch to ensure good tight connections, lost count of the number of burnt out switches due to poor installation, I would say an MNW certificate will be required, some may dispute that statement, if it is installed by yourself as a lay person, and it causes a fire your insurance may be compromised, get an Electrician in to replace the switch for you, peace of mind is a wonderful thing. Sorry for the ramble, but would hate to see you struggle.

Yes, the brown and blue wires are thicker than the black/red.
The latter look like standard wiring to me and the brown/blue are quite chunky wires. I was surprised how thick these were.
Help with wiring a shower switch w2 - EletriciansForums.net

If it was just the cord broken, why bother to change the complete switch, there doesn't appear to be a neon indicator on the replacement.
The Bathroom or shower room constitute a "special location" the Shower is a high current user and thus will require an experienced person to change the switch to ensure good tight connections, lost count of the number of burnt out switches due to poor installation, I would say an MNW certificate will be required, some may dispute that statement, if it is installed by yourself as a lay person, and it causes a fire your insurance may be compromised, get an Electrician in to replace the switch for you, peace of mind is a wonderful thing. Sorry for the ramble, but would hate to see you struggle.

Fair comment. I've been quote ÂŁ80+vat. There is a neon switch on the replacement.

looks to me likeit's a 6.0mm circuit and someone has replaced the cable to the shower with 10.0mm( possibly on a shower upgrade). what's the rating of the MCB supplying the shower circuit.

also, i's be inclined to swap that new switch for a crabtree one. much easier to get 10mm in.

looks to me likeit's a 6.0mm circuit and someone has replaced the cable to the shower with 10.0mm( possibly on a shower upgrade). what's the rating of the MCB supplying the shower circuit.

also, i's be inclined to swap that new switch for a crabtree one. much easier to get 10mm in.

looks like earth is single strand on red and black cable so probably at most 6mm the other earth is multi strand so possibly 10mm as you said .
some plier marks on the insulation of cables as well ..night be worth an electrician checking the job to check the route is ok for 6mm then 10mm cable..against the shower rating voltage drop etc
and testing the cable prior to switch on in case of insulation damage

i'd charge ÂŁ80 but that would include a crabby 50A switch/isolator. fed up of pi$$ing about with other types.only ever once had a crabby fail and that had been in 25 years. i know as i installed it in 1985

I would hope that would include testing the circuit etc .
it would if i did it. and i'd check tightness of connections in CU. no wonder i'm skint. too soft 4 my own good.

it would if i did it. and i'd check tightness of connections in CU. no wonder i'm skint. too soft 4 my own good.
hahaha I'm the same. I think, I'm too cheap as well and that's why I'm skint also...
just been on a job and plumber was charging nearly double what I was and he was there half the time ...

Reply to Help with wiring a shower switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock