Discuss Help with wiring PIR Switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi. Recently purchased a Pir switch to control one light in my kitchen. Has the standard Live and Neutral but also has a 'A' connector. If I wire up to just the L and N it does not work. The manufacturer has stated the following and I am not sure what he means ...
"Yes so live in and live out to load
Neutral looped in and out"... Any advice please.. Neil

Does this PIR replace your existing room switch?
It sounds as though you need a live/ neutral in, and live/ neutral out.
You may only have a live and a switched live at your switch position.

As WW suggests, a pic of the wiring diagram and your existing switch wiring would be handy

Hi. Recently purchased a Pir switch to control one light in my kitchen. Has the standard Live and Neutral but also has a 'A' connector. If I wire up to just the L and N it does not work. The manufacturer has stated the following and I am not sure what he means ...
"Yes so live in and live out to load
Neutral looped in and out"... Any advice please.. Neil
the A out is the SW by the sound of it, but I also echo westward, lets see a Pic

That is not going to function as your existing switch has no neutral (The blue is a switch line return).
Your existing switch is not earthed.

I'd guess the 2 wires in your switch are live-in and switched live back out to the light (no neutral).....you also forgot to connect and earth wire.

It's wrongly wired as it is but if you don't go any further it will probably survive. From your photos the device you're installing isn't compatible with the wiring you have available and can't work without some rewiring.

If you're dead set on having PIR control, you could mount it on the ceiling next to the light, but I would STRONGLY suggest you get an electrician in to install and fix the earth on the switch. (Metal switches need an earth)

Looks like the unsleeved CPC is connected to the back box.

Definately Heath Robinson for sure.

I'd suggest the job you're doing is not in the scope of a general DIY'er. It might be fairly straight forward but you're going to need the help of a sparky.

A (auxiliary) will presumably be your permanent phase. Without it the PIR couldn't work.

Oh dear... Just saw the photos.

You need an Electrician.

Why not just switch the switch as you walk past! We’ve been doing it for years.
oh and connect the CPC to the front plate.

Reply to Help with wiring PIR Switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net