Discuss Help with wiring standalone PIR in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

carpenter01

Hello, new ish to the forums. You were very helpful last time i needed some advice

I have a 360deg PIR that needs to control a floodlight approx a meter away from the sensor itself. And a switch to isolate it. (not an override)

Can someone explain in Lehman terms how to wire this practically? Im a little confused as to where and how to run the wires. Some squiggly lines on my lovely diagram would be especially helpful.

Thanks

Help with wiring standalone PIR untitled.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Note: I am aware of the principles and how to wire the PIR to the light, however im pretty sure i will need a terminal block somewhere down the switch line? What is the standard for doing this as i have no room inside the PIR itself..

Call in a electrician, it seems you don't understand what you need to do. For the safety of you and others it really is the best option.

cant do squiggly lines, take lne to a double pole sw to your pir sw side from pir N,E to light easy just like butchering wood lol

cant do squiggly lines, take lne to a double pole sw to your pir sw side from pir N,E to light easy just like butchering wood lol

Thanks! I thought there was something missing. I was planning on using a single pole switch. That clears it up nicely. Thanks again

Call in a electrician, it seems you don't understand what you need to do. For the safety of you and others it really is the best option.

I get what your saying, but im a electronics engineer and pretty capable of wiring a switch. Dont worry tho.. i wont be stealing your punters off you

and it also depends where you are getting your supply from. if it's coming from your socket circuit, you'll need to fit a fused connection unit ( spur) with a 5A fuse. this can be used as a means of switching the PIR/light on/off,

and it also depends where you are getting your supply from. if it's coming from your socket circuit, you'll need to fit a fused connection unit ( spur) with a 5A fuse. this can be used as a means of switching the PIR/light on/off,

Its coming directly from a consumer unit extension, i have a seperate MCB for the ring main and lighting circuit i have installed. The lighting circuit consists of a florescent tube light and the above.

Is this ok?

OK, then from 6A MCB to D/P switch to L/N ( in) on PIR, then L/N ( out ) on PIR to light.(i have not mentioned cpc's for reasons of clarity.)

1 tip. don't use T/E outside. it looks naff, weathers badly, and the cable entys on the PIR and light are designed for flex.

Oh well, spent 10 mins drawing the most squiggly lined drawing the world has ever seen but couldn't get it to appear on here. Leonardo Da Vinci would have thrown away his paint brush in desperation at the magnificence of this creation.

Unfortunately, you're gonna have to take my word for the quality of the art.... but CU, to double pole switch, to pir, to lamp would about cover it

1 tip. don't use T/E outside. it looks naff, weathers badly, and the cable entys on the PIR and light are designed for flex.

Im using t/e but it is in a roofed garage, so it wont be exposed to the elements

- - - Updated - - -

Oh well, spent 10 mins drawing the most squiggly lined drawing the world has ever seen but couldn't get it to appear on here. Leonardo Da Vinci would have thrown away his paint brush in desperation at the magnificence of this creation.

Unfortunately, you're gonna have to take my word for the quality of the art.... but CU, to double pole switch, to pir, to lamp would about cover it

haahah i want to see this now

I realise that you are an electronics engineer, but do you have the test gear to make sure that what you are installing is all ok? Also, if you have fitted 2 new MCB's in a "CU extension" (not sure what that is exactly), you will need to produce an Electrical Installation Certificate. Regardless of qualifications or abilities, there are certain regulations which you need to work to, and certain jobs which must be notified to your LBC.

Reply to Help with wiring standalone PIR in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock