Discuss Help writing out actual NICEIC periodic inspection Report in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lee Kerr

Hey Guys

i am a 3rd year apprentice and have just started testing properties which are over looked
by a qualified electrician and i can test fine i think i've got the knack of it now still check
the on-site guide every once and a while but thats what its there for hey on the 2nd and 3rd
page of the report i struggle most Section G "Observations and recommendations for actions
to be taken" i dont get what faults and observations you can write in there and most of all i
struggle on the third page Section K "schedule of items inspected" i do not have a clue what
half of these tick boxes mean
could someone please explain to me what they mean ?
thanks
Really means alot

Lee Kerr

Hey Guys

i am a 3rd year apprentice and have just started testing properties which are over looked
by a qualified electrician and i can test fine i think i've got the knack of it now still check
the on-site guide every once and a while but thats what its there for hey on the 2nd and 3rd
page of the report i struggle most Section G "Observations and recommendations for actions
to be taken" i dont get what faults and observations you can write in there and most of all i
struggle on the third page Section K "schedule of items inspected" i do not have a clue what
half of these tick boxes mean
could someone please explain to me what they mean ?
thanks
Really means alot

Lee Kerr

I must say I'd be very surprised if you can 'test fine' but don't know anything about defects or the schedule of inspections....

Why hasn't the qualified electrician 'overlooking' you explained any of this?

There's a sticky somewhere on the forum with explanations of the items on the schedule of inspections but you should also get Guidance Note 3 for further detailed information.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should write any and all faults that you have observed.
For instance a low reading of IR on circuit xx. Or Zs too high for the protective device on circuit xyz.
The most common faults, are usually lack of RCD protection for socket-outlets intended for general use by ordinary persons, and lack of RCD protection for circuits of locations containing baths or showers.
When making recommendations, I would just stick to appling an appropriate code, rather than suggesting something such as a board change, or install supplementary bonding.
With the schedule of inspections, you are checking first whether each item exists in the installation, then whether it should exist, and then whether it is adequate.
Take for instance, the first item, SELV. Is there anything that is SELV in the installation, such as a shaver socket, a door bell, under counter lighting, down lights or even an extractor fan in a bathroom?
If there isn't, then it would be N/A, if there is, then you would have to test it to ensure it is separate, and depending on the outcome of your test, it would be a cross or a tick (or #).
Of course the schedule I've got is quite old, so yours may have a different first item.

Reply to Help writing out actual NICEIC periodic inspection Report in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net