Discuss help!?! in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

hi pretty new to electrics...as you'll be able to tell from this post ;)
right, i've bought a relay this one (the LU)
BUT i dont really know how to wire it up....??
cheers:)

The coil supply is shown by the coiled up wire,it depends which model youve got on the "lu" type its a common live and on the "luz" its independant of the switched contacts ,i dont think it matters which is negative or positive on the "luZ" but the pos should go to the common point on the "lu" type ,then treat the switch contacts as what they are ,(a swich) you cant go to far wrong as long as you dont create a dead short accross the switch ,and you have the right voltage coil for your supply
all the best with it have fun ,

cheer sdude :) ive got the lu type
i'll try and figure it out from that! thanks :D

whats a coil? i know a car coil... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
cheer sdude :) ive got the lu type
i'll try and figure it out from that! thanks :D

whats a coil? i know a car coil... :D

no its different to a car ignition coil ,its simply a coil of wire around a bobbin,and when fed with the supply ,ie neg and pos ,it becomes a magnet ,which atracts a soft iron armature and closes the contacts to make the switch ,,google solinoid coil for a diagram

the lu type relay is shown in the normally closed position , the common (12volts wire) goes where all the lines join on the diag,
when it energises the switch changes over to the other contact and thereby switches the circuit to what ever you want to turn on
if you read the post carefully you should be able to do it easy enough dude:eek:

**: h*lp!?!

ahh jeez lol..i get the coil bit now :D... but where to solder it all upp...am well confuzzled...it feels like am on it aswell:eek:

say i've got a light/bulb that lights up (which is powered by a 9v battery...) when the electronic switch is on (where do the two wires for the switch go).....?:confused::confused:

Re: **: h*lp!?!

ahh jeez lol..i get the coil bit now :D... but where to solder it all upp...am well confuzzled...it feels like am on it aswell:eek:

say i've got a light/bulb that lights up (which is powered by a 9v battery...) when the electronic switch is on (where do the two wires for the switch go).....?:confused::confused:

Right ,connect the positive to the switch,then from the otherside of the switch to the comon point on the relay ,take the neg from the battery to the coil,then the relay will operate when the switch is closed ok
then take neg to light and pos to light from contact in relay that makes when coil energises
i would draw you a pic but my scanners not working ,sorry
try that anyway

If you look at the wiring diagram the coil is the spiral on the vertically middle pair of contacts. This coil will move the switch (represented as a lever between two arrows on left most pair of vertical contacts). if you want the relay to switch on circuit normally switched off .You would connect the control circuit across the middle pair of contacts ( the ones with the coil) and the controlled circuit across the bottom two corner contacts. If you want the relay to switch off a circuit normally on. you would connect the coil as before but the controlled circuit would be connected between the top two corners contacts.

untitled-2.jpg

i doubt this is right lol..??:confused::confused:

right, the set up ive got is a wireles remote (which is the switch, like a door bell, so when the noise (ding dong) it send the current through to the relay (which is two seperate wires), and attached A 9V battery, which is wired up to the light bulb, so theres another 2 wires :D so four in total :D.....

i did this:

untitled-3.jpg

still won't work :(

I confused, do you want to control a mains AC lamp via a dc control circuit or have an AC switch control a light on the same circuit?or do you want to have a DC switch and DC lamp? or maybe use the relay as a latch so once a button is pressed the lamp stays on? In my circuit where the blue cross the red they aren't supposed to be connected thats what the little hump indiciates. In your circuit where is the power for the lamp coming from? if the lamp is to be run off mains then in your circuit the top of the lamp should go to neutral and the top right connection of relay should go to live. If you want to have the lamp powered by the battery why do you need a relay? Also for convention the battery +ve is shown by the long line and the -ve shown by the short so in my circuit the +ve is at the top. You should always by convention have +ve source then switch then load, it will work the other way but if you are using AC then the load can be live even when the switch is open

What is it your are trying to do, is it that you want to make a light go on and stay on when the doorbell rings? Like nurse call button in a hospital?

:confused::confused:no idea lol

this is what ive done, still doesn't work though :( :(

untitled-4.jpg

the wireless switch is putting out about 2.5v (battery) through those two wires..

:confused::confused:no idea lol

this is what ive done, still doesn't work though :( :(

untitled-4.jpg

the wireless switch is putting out about 2.5v (battery) through those two wires..

Is it that you are trying to control a DC lamp via a remote control switch? If it is then whats the switch details? You may not need a relay at all, have you tried connecting the battery to the switch then the switxh to the lamp then the lamp to the other side of the battey like a daisy chain?

i know why it doesn't work! :D

the wireless swtich only puts out about 2.5v which isn't enoough to operate the relay, i found it needs at least 8.5/9v to make it work :D

thanks for your help guys :)

Reply to help!?! in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net