Discuss Help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

PAUL M

Went to do cu change today and noticed that the tails came out of the meter into henley block then to cu, then i noticed a 6mm swa connected into the same henley block which is backed up with a 100 amp bs 1361,so i asked him what it was feeding ,oh its for me garage so off i trot for a gander:eek: it was like a branch of kwik fit:eek: so i told him that the armoured should be downrated and put on a 32 amp mcb,but that wont be enough for me welder ,.its the same size cable as the supply coming in he says:eek:. am i missing something here :eek: surely you cant have 6mm swa on a 100 amp fuse can you?:confused: all replys welcome,cant be bothered to check the red bible it has been a long day.cheers.

Ha ha .i know ,but have been having a blonge day today,i told him it needs changing so its up to him.

Aswell as the cable size being incorrect he will also require an isolator on the cable if it is over three metres long as it is technically a "set of tails".
As you have commented the cable is presently unprotected but if the garage is detached and therefore outside the equipotential zone he will also require RCD protection and he will most probably then start swearing every time he tries to weld!

It was done to the 16th ages ago ,did i mention its a tt system, garage (kwik fit ) has its own earth rod,it is about 20 feet from main house,

we should have the authority to disconnect things like this, or any other things that are a blatent hazard to health! im seeing it more and more on jobs i go to now where things arnt right but customers dont wanna know, its been ok for 15 years so it'll be ok for another 15. but cos we've seen it were automatically tied to it legally, frightening really, should be able to diconnect and condem for sure.

some folk you cant help .let the place burn

Have any of you come across the "Darwin Awards" given (usually posthumously) those who have improved the human gene pool by attempting to remove themselves from it in spectactularly stupid ways?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock