Discuss Helping school events get safer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I know a lot of us here are parents and have had to turn a blind-eye to the some of the electrical shenanigans you see at the schools events (particularly outdoors).

Our PTA (parent teacher association) have had the fear-of-god put into them an events company that used their ground and now want to do things a little better and have asked me.

The puzzle is if I come in hard on them they'll clam and abandon the idea

So I need to find cost-effective step-by-measures to improve things and make the reasoning easy to understand.

My ideas so far.

* Identify short documents (from good authorities) that explain in clear English the how and why of good outdoor electrical practice so they can understand the issues and the solutions (and why and what I am spending there money on).
* Buy a real of toughened cable, ceeforms and fused trailing sockets to replace daisy-chained domestic extension leads
* Check the length of the cable runs to check how it impacts earthing and cutouts
* Investigate whether the "rugby ball" trailing socket covers they've seen are a help or hindrance to good safety practice
* Write up on a website my findings
* Make the next event (a fireworks night) safer

I am aware this thread could easily become a flame-war but I am genuinely just trying to help and I am hoping by working out some simple ways to make safety better, it will become so!

I would appreciate any feedback from people in the same situation

I know a lot of us here are parents and have had to turn a blind-eye to the some of the electrical shenanigans you see at the schools events (particularly outdoors).

Our PTA (parent teacher association) have had the fear-of-god put into them an events company that used their ground and now want to do things a little better and have asked me.

So I need to find cost-effective step-by-measures to improve things and make the reasoning easy to understand.

My ideas so far.

* Identify short documents (from good authorities) that explain in clear English the how and why of good outdoor electrical practice so they can understand the issues and the solutions (and why and what I am spending there money on).
* Buy a real of toughened cable, ceeforms and fused trailing sockets to replace daisy-chained domestic extension leads
* Check the length of the cable runs to check how it impacts earthing and cutouts
* Investigate whether the "rugby ball" trailing socket covers they've seen are a help or hindrance to good safety practice

I am aware this thread could easily become a flame-war but I am genuinely just trying to help and I am hoping by working out some simple ways to make safety better, it will become so!

convince them to swap to 110.

a 110v transformer then extension lead.

could always use a 110-240v tranny at the other end for equipment

My ideas so far.

I'm surprised this day n age that you want to get involved with school firework display. My advice would be steer well clear of them.
I'm sure you will get good electrical advice here from people in the know.

110 is something that has been mentioned to them (by the events company) and whilst it would be easy for temporary lighting it wouldn't solve tea-urn/dj/existing-equipment problem plus they may balk at the hire/buy cost of 110v transformers

I agree that hook-up points would be good and hope that starting to use 16a flex and ceeforms will be the foot-in-the-door for that

You could have the hook up points sited near the display areas so as to save on trailing leads etc. As long as when not in use the hook ups are sited in a practical position and not in the way of other events

Utter tosh advice. If you don't understand a subject, keep out of it!!

Events electrics is not rocket science, and there are already existing standards in place for them.

However, to do properly is also expensive - cable ramp, for example, is not something that I could see a school wanting to buy (or store). There are a many decent firms of event power companies in your area, find one and ask for some assistance. You'll most likely end up with hire options for H07 cabling, rubber box distro's and as many suitable for the environment devices as you could wish for.

DaveSparky (from here) is closer than me, and he does both power and pyro - why not send him a PM for recommendations?

I think hire is a good solution however price-wise the new solution has to rival draping 13a extension leads out of windows :6:

I know event electrics isn't not rocket science but I'm sure I am not alone it having seen enough to prove that "average Joe" doesn't get it, someone at the meeting was asking with a straight face about what was wrong with putting trailing sockets in carrier bags as protection against water-ingress

My idea to make people do the right thing, is too make it easier than the wrong thing!

cable protector matting would be a good idea to protect it if its not burried or swa etc, downside is its expensive per metre.

240v commando sockets would be a better choice than normal extension leads as well

On what planet is that a good idea? Have you ever worked in production/event power distribution?
Voltage drop across a field is bad enough without halving the voltage at the start, and as for the size of the transformer you would need......

To the OP

As Rockingit has suggested I'm not too far away from you, and do work in the world of event electrics.
I'll be happy to have a chat with you about this if you like.

It's only fair to mention that I am tied to an event services company, so whilst my advice is free and unbiased my recommendations for hire/sales are not so unbiased.

@davesparks Cool, but I think even hire will be a hard-sell, I have asked for a map of what they want for fireworks night

I am thinking at the very least if I make sure I attend each "get-in" I could hopefully get them slowly into better practices

The purple guide is just a starting point, the effects of rain and also electric shock are the same regardless of the size of the venue. It is a document where you have a look through and decide which parts are relevant, in this case the use of electricity of of doors.

@davesparks Cool, but I think even hire will be a hard-sell, I have asked for a map of what they want for fireworks night

I am thinking at the very least if I make sure I attend each "get-in" I could hopefully get them slowly into better practices

Be careful with helping them slowly get in to better practices, if the worst happens on an event where you were the electrician helping them out then what might the judge say about your role in the death of a child?

Ask your firework company about it, they may well have an event services company they work along side.
My firework company is very closely tied with the event services company so we generally look after the whole lot for clients.

The purple guide is just a starting point, the effects of rain and also electric shock are the same regardless of the size of the venue. It is a document where you have a look through and decide which parts are relevant, in this case the use of electricity of of doors.
Having spent my life immersed in the purple book (many of my colleagues and friends basically wrote it!) I don't need the introduction, and I really don't think its going to benefit the OP to spend hours reading up on crowd control processes and toilet ratios to then come to the bit where it basically advises an event organiser to "if in doubt, consult a qualified electrician". I've already told him to speak to Dave, job done!

Reply to Helping school events get safer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net