Discuss Hey dudes! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

fuzzyduck6

Right, then. Better get it over with! I am one of many blokes on this forum that want to change careers and for some reason, be a sparky. I am mid thirties with a bunch of useless BTECS and a wasted degree in an engineering disciplne. (went straight into flair bartending and high end restaurant managment. Good money, even better for girls!).I currently, though not for much longer, work for a large Japanese motor manufacturer. I have been doing my research into what I need to do to become a sparky, IT'S A MINEFIELD if you aren't sure what you need. Lots of people wanting to relieve you of a large chunk of your money, making it hugely difficult to make sure that you get the relevant qualifications alongside some experience without being ripped off. What, exactly, do I need in terms of bits of paper?! I am a practical bloke, do up houses and cars, so I am not fazed by digging holes in walls etc. Can anyone help a miffed bloke with a smile?

Hey bud, welcome along.:D

Best thing to do is view the sticky thread at the top of the courses forum "becoming an electrician".

Check out some of the other stickies in the other forums, loads of info in there.;)

Cheers! I am being made redundant, but it's not the end of the world! Am going to spend some of it on the course, but just want to make sure I do the right one!

Thanks Chris! And hello!

It seems many providers just want your money! Does anyone know a decent, reputable trainer in the derby area or at least within 30 miles of derby?

Cheers, Lads!

Thanks Mate! and hello to you aswell!
Also is there any feedback from anyone who has used NEW CAREER SKILLS? Going to college for Three years is a bit out of the question, but i am not an advocate of 'fasttrack courses'.
I have got a sparky lined up to shadow one day a week and already have a lot of practical exp. while I work in the bars but need to get qualified fairly quickly so i can move on and eventually set up on my own, in time of course. Any advice would be cool!

Hello and welcome....choose carefully but it's experiance that will give the knowledge..

He's right though, Dave is. Experience is what its all about. All the apprentices Ive ever known have known it all by the time they come out of their time, and within the first year in the field on their own theyve realised they know very little about historic building techniques, for instance. Complete culture shock to them. go to college. get the paper and then spend a year learning how buildings work and how to get around architects and stay within the regs :)

Reply to Hey dudes! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock