Discuss Hi all, my 1st question (re seal on electricity suppliers cut out) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I need to move my consumer unit (only by 500mm or so) which means new tails. I have no DP isolator between the supplier’s cut out and my consumer unit. I intend cutting the seal on the cut out and pulling the fuse. I will then fit a 100A DP switch to the existing 25mm tails from the cut out, then new 25mm tails from the DP switch to my new consumer unit (as well as a new 16mm earth cable of course). My question is, whats the score with cutting the seal? Years ago (when I was a jobbing spark), we would just cut the seal off... but now sure what you guys do nowadays...

Fairies did it! ?

seriously though most of the time if you are a member of a scam the supplier will let you cut it..

isolatormust go after the meter, not before it.
[automerge]1590007547[/automerge]
Bypassing the meter then? Good idea but probably illegal.
maybe his meter is wireless and picks up the usage remotely.
[automerge]1590007591[/automerge]
just seen OP is a Scouser. who needs a meter?

Check with the DNO and see what their policy is. You can probably access it online as with most big organisations these days it difficult to get hold of a real person and if you do you’ll be incredibly lucky that they’ll know what they’re talking about!

isolatormust go after the meter, not before it.
[automerge]1590007547[/automerge]

maybe his meter is wireless and picks up the usage remotely.
[automerge]1590007591[/automerge]
just seen OP is a Scouser. who needs a meter?

SH*T... I meant "I will then fit a 100A DP switch to the existing 25mm tails from the METER (not cut out), then new 25mm tails from the DP switch to my new consumer unit"

Source URL: Hi all, my 1st question (re seal on electricity suppliers cut out) - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/hi-all-my-1st-question-re-seal-on-electricity-suppliers-cut-out.186535/#post-1630046

I need to move my consumer unit (only by 500mm or so) which means new tails. I have no DP isolator between the supplier’s cut out and my consumer unit. I intend cutting the seal on the cut out and pulling the fuse. I will then fit a 100A DP switch to the existing 25mm tails from the cut out, then new 25mm tails from the DP switch to my new consumer unit (as well as a new 16mm earth cable of course). My question is, whats the score with cutting the seal? Years ago (when I was a jobbing spark), we would just cut the seal off... but now sure what you guys do nowadays...

I meant "I will then fit a 100A DP switch to the existing 25mm tails from the METER (not cut out), then new 25mm tails from the DP switch to my new consumer unit"

Source URL: Hi all, my 1st question (re seal on electricity suppliers cut out) - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/hi-all-my-1st-question-re-seal-on-electricity-suppliers-cut-out.186535/#post-1630046
[automerge]1590087111[/automerge]
What sort of meter is it?

its an electricity meter :cool: ... seriously, its a new digital type

is it a normal digi meter or a smartarse meter?

You would think if it was a smartass meter, there would be an isolator and no need to call in the fairies.

It’s funny.... maybe a geographical thing, but there never seems to be any seals on fuses when it comes to board changes. ;)

My advice is to leave the main fuse alone and get your local DNO to remove the fuse for you. Removing the fuse is potentially very dangerous and suitable PPE and procedures are required, one wrong move can be fatal.

My advice is to leave the main fuse alone and get your local DNO to remove the fuse for you. Removing the fuse is potentially very dangerous and suitable PPE and procedures are required, one wrong move can be fatal.

I can be the only one who has trouble even getting the DNO out to even do such a thing. Anyone got any info on the correct number to even call, last time I called i got told they couldn't help me due to data protection.

I think it very much decides on your DNO. I did read somewhere that there was suggestion that there was going to be be general consensus on this subject, not sure which way it was going mind.

My DNO (as said by others) allowed Scheme members to remove seals & main fuse, and resell with temporary seal.

I've not long ago just got off the phone to UKPN who has told me they don't really come out and seal the head they leave that down to the supplier. Unless its an emergency they don't really come out.
Procedure to change a consumer unit would be to call the supplier (which you can't talk to without owner/landlords consent) and arrange for them to come out and pull main fuse and return when finished.
Makes a few hours work a days work if you can test anything afterwards. Seems bloody stupid to me.

Spent most the morning trying to get hold of a supplier just to ask if they will let me cut and reseal after.

I can be the only one who has trouble even getting the DNO out to even do such a thing. Anyone got any info on the correct number to even call, last time I called i got told they couldn't help me due to data protection.
It can be problematic I admit but this is the advice we have to give out as the equipment is the property of the DNO and as such we shouldn't be interfering with it. Add to that the liability aspect if something goes wrong and you get a face full of vapourised copper???

My preferred option is to the get customer to request an isolation switch is fitted, things make things a hell of a lot easier and safer for future works.

It is the opinion of many electricians that when smart meters are fitted they should be providing some form of isolation but this isn't happening.

cut the meter seals. fit new tails with CU and /or isolator locked off. fit new seals to meter. that might teach suppliers to fit meters with isolation on the outgoing.

cut the meter seals. fit new tails with CU and /or isolator locked off. fit new seals to meter. that might teach suppliers to fit meters with isolation on the outgoing.
The original spec for "Smart" meters included an SP switch (as seen on some other digital meters). But there was a cost-saving exercise and the isolator was deleted from the spec.
Go figure.

Reply to Hi all, my 1st question (re seal on electricity suppliers cut out) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock