Discuss Hi all! Old(ish) spark looking to go it alone but unsure where to start? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Remember that working on your own has a lot of overheads (costs & time) so you need to be charging about double what you need for a reasonable salary.

Speak to an accountant about what is needed, they should be able to handle most of the stuff (for a fee...) in terms of tax and PAYE management. They can also advise you about trade off going sole, or Ltd company, etc as well as to VAT or not to VAT (short version, keep below threshold unless you can go comfortably above it to pay for extra paperwork).

As above, don't get in to a race to the bottom on pricing, keep to what is reasonable in your area for reputable sparks.

EICR are in such a race but demand is high, so make sure you sell yourself as doing it properly and fixing trivial things included in the cost (e.g. odd cracked socket) - give folk a reason to pay you a working wage instead of a drive-by monkey filling a form and not actually doing the safety work needed.
Agreed. I have managed to get a sneaky peak at some invoices recently and it has given me a bit of a guideline to what sort of prices I should aim for.
I will definitely not undersell myself.

One of my friends is self employed (not an electrician) and I spoke to him last night, he has given me the number of his accountant. He gets tons of advice off him and he deals with everything too, there is no stress as he keeps good records. Sounds straightforward enough to me.

I would definitely be fixing broken sockets etc at my expense in order to increase my reputation! :)

You've really inspired me with this info Pete! I read it and felt that my efforts will be rewarded especially seen as though you started out at exactly the same age as me! :)

Happy Birthday by the way! ?

I really do take pride in my work and enjoy the good feeling of the customer when the job is complete and I've handed over after explaining how their new "stuff" works.

I am a good electrician (not the quickest out there if I'm honest) but I take my time and make sure it's right first time. I've seen many sparks who rush through jobs but they end up being messy and badly installed with many short-cuts taken. I prefer to take that little longer. I don't see it as a bad thing really as I care about the end result.
I had the opportunity to take the cover off a CU a colleague installed a few weeks back and was shocked at the state of how it had been done. Really messy. It's no wonder he can get through a CU upgrade in less than 2 hours with work like that. I just couldn't put my name to that sort of workmanship.

It's even more important when working for yourself I guess, customer MUST be happy.....
I started at the age of 41 @Exponential . It's bloody great being your own boss, although I wonder if you can only truly appreciate it if you have been employed for a long period of time, as some self employed electricians do not seem to like it. I love it! I love having to take complete responsibility for my day to day financial survival, it makes me feel far more alive than when I was employed.

Go for it, and good luck to you ?

He He, I used to sit in some meetings counting the £ I was earning listening to someone on the other side of a table talk about something I already knew, very therapeutic especially if they where supplying lunch as well.

If it's purely EICR's then you don't need to be registered. However, If you want to get the remedial work as well then it's definitely going to be worth your while to get registered with a scheme. Basically it's NICEIC or Napit now as Stroma are part of Napit and I think elecsa is with the NICEIC (Certsure I think??!).

To be registered with a scheme you need the following ...

1. Public liability insurance (£2 million minimum). You dont need professional indemnity insurance, I am not too sure of the difference though.
2. Health and safety Policy. Don't let this title frighten you, it is just the same piece of paper used each year, just with the date changed.
View attachment 63993
3. Risk assessment template. Again, for a small one man band this is rarely used. I dont mean I don't make risk assessments, I do, however they tend to be automatic when you approach a job. I fill this in a little differently once a year when I have my assessment.
View attachment 63994

4. Up to date copy of BS7671. They will not accept an out of date copy.

5. In date calibration document for your multi function tester.

6. Complaints form, complaints procedure and complaints ledger. I just cant seem to attach them here, sorry.

7. Up to date copy of the building regulations. I have always shown them the Building Regulations Explanatory Booklet which they have always been happy with, see link Building regulations explanatory booklet (2005 amended reprint), Office of the Deputy Prime Minister - Publication Index | NBS - https://www.thenbs.com/PublicationIndex/documents/details?Pub=ODPM&DocID=276909
but this may be out of date. Worst case scenario is they ask you to find it online and send them a picture showing them you have found it.

8. Up to date copy of Part P approved document.

9. Evidence of learning.
This can be a tricky one for a small sole trader. Sometimes I don't have anything to show them and I am just honest. They suggest one or 2 sights to go on for some online training and that's that. It's never failed me. I do however usually have some simple bits to show them like an online manual handling course I have completed or a working at heights on line course. They are free and they keep the assessor happy.

10. Copy of the Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) that you completed for the job you have carried out that you will be assessed on.

11. Have all the bits above ready and to hand. You will be stressed on your first assessment so don't add to that stress by not having things ready and organised.

12. Brush up on some of the BS7671 basics as they will ask you some basic questions about the regs.
I always quickly go through zones in bathrooms, safe isolation procedure and the correct testing order as these seem to be regular questions. Oh yes and they tend to ask me for some examples of where other parts of the building regulations relate to electrics.

For example part M... heights of sockets. can't think of any more, but I will do before my assessment!

13. You will pass. Even if you have a non-conformity, which is likely on your first assessment, they will simply ask you to remedy it and then send a picture into them, they will then pass you.

14. I forgot your qualification! Not sure about this as it has changed since I registered. Looks like you have to have level 3 now, but I am not sure.

15. This is for anything I have forgotten that the other members will fill in ?
I cannot begin to tell you how this information will help me! Thankyou so much for this! :)

I have BS7671, OSG, Guide to building regs and guidance note 3 all are 18th edition so I'm covered in that regard. The H&S documentation etc I'll download and amend as required.

Evidence of learning: I take detailed pictures of every job I do and have them catalogued in a Onedrive folder. I did a similar thing at my previous employer as it not only proves you've completed the work but it also confirms the standard of the install.

Item 10: So I'll be completing a job then asking the customer to allow me to come back to be assessed on it at a later date?

I did my level 3 with AM2 back in 1999 and have 2394 & 2395 aswel as 18th editon. JIB Goldcard holder.

There will be occasional jobs you don't get paid for - that is part of the overheads you have to allow for. But if there is enough work you will be fine.

Also if your wife can handle some of the paperwork in any spare time it is a massive advantage, saves you doing that instead of the electrics you get paid for. Remember if you don't invoice you won't get paid!

Obvious I know, but I have had to chase some folk before to actually pay them!

I expect to do a few freebies every now and then to be honest. I find gestures like that go a long way in securing future work!

I plan to teach the wife the joys of EasyCert :D

Good to see someone with high standards. You will do well. It may take some time to get established, but all it takes is a few regular contacts.
Another thing to consider - I don't know how many sparkies on here have a website. But I have found it to be essential. Doesn't have to be elaborate, but can help showcase your talents and help people to find you.
I don't expect to be an overnight success story and I know it will take time to build up a decent client base.

A website? I think that would be a great idea! I follow David Savery on youtube and his website is awesome! Could only wish to have a site as professional as that!!

I would definitely be fixing broken sockets etc at my expense in order to increase my reputation! :)
Use some judgement, if the only thing between satisfactory and unsatisfactory is a C2/C1 for a broken socket or missing CU blank then fitting the ~£5 part is worth it for reputation. Make sure you tell them!

If it is more than you might as well leave all but C1 for later quote/work.

Some landlords & customers are right tight-fisted so-and-sos, but others would much rather have some agreement that if it is less than £100 or so to fix then just to do it at the time and save the hassle of having to make an appointment for access later to correct stuff. Saves your travel time as well. So discuss that before as a good owrking relationship with a few agents, etc, will keep you busy and properly paid.

I started at the age of 41 @Exponential . It's bloody great being your own boss, although I wonder if you can only truly appreciate it if you have been employed for a long period of time, as some self employed electricians do not seem to like it. I love it! I love having to take complete responsibility for my day to day financial survival, it makes me feel far more alive than when I was employed.

Go for it, and good luck to you ?

My sentiments exactly!

Thanks for you kind words! :)

Use some judgement, if the only thing between satisfactory and unsatisfactory is a C2/C1 for a broken socket or missing CU blank then fitting the ~£5 part is worth it for reputation. Make sure you tell them!

If it is more than you might as well leave all but C1 for later quote/work.

Some landlords & customers are right tight-fisted so-and-sos, but others would much rather have some agreement that if it is less than £100 or so to fix then just to do it at the time and save the hassle of having to make an appointment for access later to correct stuff. Saves your travel time as well. So discuss that before as a good owrking relationship with a few agents, etc, will keep you busy and properly paid.

Whenever I complete any works in a property I always make sure to discuss the completed work with the tenant before I leave so I know I have explained it adequately in a manner they will understand (how the new CU's RCD/SPD operates for example). I do the same for any newly installed accessory.

Agree on the tight fisted landlords!! Most of them pay through gritted teeth I imagine!

Can I touch on the "few agents" thing?

My intention is to be both PAYE for my current employer but be a sole trader for my own work which I will only be doing at weekends for now. I can't afford to just leave my current job just yet as it'll be too much of a risk! Mortgage to pay and all that...

Should I just go with one Estate Agent for now until I build the business?
How do you think the Estate Agent will react when I say I can only do Saturday's?

My intention is to be both PAYE for my current employer but be a sole trader for my own work which I will only be doing at weekends for now. I can't afford to just leave my current job just yet as it'll be too much of a risk! Mortgage to pay and all that...
As @Mike Johnson has pointed out you should check your current employment contract in case it has restrictions on competing work, etc.
Should I just go with one Estate Agent for now until I build the business?
How do you think the Estate Agent will react when I say I can only do Saturday's?
You would have to ask. Some might be happier as easier to get folk at home on weekends for any appointments (OK, current COVID-19 working from home has sort of changed that), others less happy at having to be contactable for any queries out of their working week.

Why are you still chasing out box's at 74 you must be mad or very annoyed at least.
basically, due to having spent most of my working life self-employed, a few lean years short of stamps. reduced state pension just about covers essentials - beer and smokes. if i want to eat and pay bills i need to work, even if only a couple of days a week. apart from which, it gets me out of the house, away from Loose Women and that pratt Scofield. that in itself is as important as making a few squids.

I paid up on my stamps and got an offer from the Government to pay a proportion of the owed amount to get a full pension, obviously I took them up on the offer, doesn't do any harm to ask.
funny. had same offer. pay up the arrers and get a full pension. fair enough but.... full pension would have seen an increase per week of £30. arrears pay-off was £12,000. as my missing contributions were in the 80's where the NI was through the roof.

Reply to Hi all! Old(ish) spark looking to go it alone but unsure where to start? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net