Discuss Hi All, Quick intro and thinking of a career change, so need some advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

godzilla

Trainee
Reaction score
HI All,

Based near Cardiff, UK and seriously thinking of a career change and ended up here after a good few days of searching and reading up on various forums.

Mid 40s now and deciding to go the sparky way!

Torn between college course, which are typical 1 year - level 1 electrical installations starting and working throught them, but will take years to complete

or one of these fast track deals like the domestic course and adding to that as you go along - but will cost a truck load of money!

Grateful for loads of advice

cheers again

G

I am currently in my 2nd year at night school doing some work experience in my spare time, I think this way you get a good understanding of electrics and at a decent pace, there is a lot to take in.
However, I have had a friend who did a quick course and has made a decent career out of it but not he is having trouble getting certain work because he never did his nvq or am2

I am currently in my 2nd year at night school doing some work experience in my spare time, I think this way you get a good understanding of electrics and at a decent pace, there is a lot to take in.
However, I have had a friend who did a quick course and has made a decent career out of it but not he is having trouble getting certain work because he never did his nvq or am2

Thanks stokielee,

I am planning (hoping) to do a few of the courses (I guess, no point doing a beginners course) so, I can get to a reasonable level (hireable or self-employed) to get work for at least 10 - 15 years (another reason to change career).

(Keen on the Solar and EV side and the reports side for landlords like the EICR, but domestic seems a good start to build the experience)

Really trying to figure out what, or if any difference in the Level 1 Elec Installations compared to the Domestic Elec course. I know money is a factor (costly), if i went the training provider route to get to advance domestic elec level.

So leads me to this....Night school, 3 years before, I get to level 3 elec install. I am sure someone on here will be able to confirm, what these levels compare to the C&Gs 2365 dip levels.

It is a huge ---- up between the 2, but really trying to figure out what real difference are in elec installations and advance domes/C&G2365.

This is where, I am stuck trying to figure why the different names from college and training providers or are they both the same, but just labelled different.

A univeral straight forward guide for route will be great to get me started on choosing the right path. Trade skills have their 5 step route for beginners, wonder how that differs from the level1-3 eletrical installations from colleges.

Pace (as you mentioned), i know there is going to be a steep learning curve, something I need to weigh up with time, so picking up Certs and then using them get out there to get work experience, even if its no or low money to start with.

G

I always trot this out to your sort of question must be a bit boring to others who have seen it too many times. Read carefully. It is a great road map in planning your way into the electrical industry. I really think you need to know what you want to do this may help you.

Thanks V,

Looks like for beginners it's c&g 2365-02 then further courses to move towards full qualified.

How about the basics to get up to 2365-02!

Which best route to take to get to 2365-02, now that we know that's the best course for beginners not in the trade?

It's getting a little clearer now!

First off, becoming an electrician requires a level of maths/science that is fairly basic. I am sorry if that is deflating, I just say that as it is easy to imagine it's rocket science. Yes it does require some application but is still easily within reach of the average person imo. The thing is to adopt a two pronged approach. One get on the right course, two; get some work while you are doing it. Put ads in local electrical wholesalers, put your self on here; Looking for work and so on. You must be on the job while learning the theory I believe it will help enormously. I think @stokielee's point about the pacing is a good mid-way approach. Nice and "organic"

Do you really need the basics in which the level one will offer you? My local college do a 10 week evening course but I don't think you'll need it, I went straight onto the level 2 2365 course and I have no previous experience except for changing a few sockets in the past. Also it's worth noting that the government have pulled funding for the advanced learner loan so a lot of colleges are doing the C&G 8202 course now which isn't a problem, you still get basically the same level of qualification at the end of the course.

Do you really need the basics in which the level one will offer you? My local college do a 10 week evening course but I don't think you'll need it, I went straight onto the level 2 2365 course and I have no previous experience except for changing a few sockets in the past. Also it's worth noting that the government have pulled funding for the advanced learner loan so a lot of colleges are doing the C&G 8202 course now which isn't a problem, you still get basically the same level of qualification at the end of the course.

Hi Stokielee have you got anything to back that statement up that level 3 funding for the 2365 has been pulled & for that reason the C&G 8202 was introduced. ?

Thanks Chaps,

So to recall, which level and yes I am going to agree the basic courses maybe a little too basic!

My background, I have a BSc in Applied Sciences, so have done a tiny bit of maths, nothing crazy, completed a beginners radio licence, so did get exposed to simple electrics theory and workings and been teaching science workshops for over 15 years on and off schools, mostly primary schools. Nothing electrics related, but no fear of techie stuff.

Over 20 year DIY expereince working in in our house and rental house we own. So every odd job to strip down to the bone jobs. The sparky stuf,f I have always left for final sign offs, but done simple rewiring and fishing out/networking cat7a (whole house) etc and changing simple plugs and sockets, lights etc. Just build a cabin in the garden and nearly finished our new kitchen fitting. So hands on, I know, I will be heads first into any diy side of things, no matter how dirty.

Knowledge wise, I just need to get my head into books again. I am hoping my expereince and knowledge might help me push up a course or two, like you have both mentioned. But a career change, I want to start at the bottom and get my head around all this framework.

So, I could ring the college and ask about the level 2 course part time evenings and supplement that with work, once I have done a couple of months, if the college are ok with me going into level 2.

I also ring that morris setup and that trades skills place and see if I can jump straight into the 2365.

@stokielee - Are you doing that 2365 at college - as I cant find that course anywhere in college near Cardiff, Its all level 1,2,3 stuff and the 2365 seems to be all at skills places!

So next impass is what is level 2 elec installations vs 2365.

Totally priceless info, really helping to get my head around this and as @Vortigern said earlier, the right course is now become key as I dont want to waste time.

I have about 1-2 years to make this change as it fits into my kids schooling arrangements (easier for me to fit in) and I don't want to waste millions of quid and the college courses start next week sept 7th onwards!

Thanks guys -
ps @JAWS @stokielee - funding 8202 - whats that about - is there help available funding wise?

First off, becoming an electrician requires a level of maths/science that is fairly basic. I am sorry if that is deflating, I just say that as it is easy to imagine it's rocket science. Yes it does require some application but is still easily within reach of the average person imo. The thing is to adopt a two pronged approach. One get on the right course, two; get some work while you are doing it. Put ads in local electrical wholesalers, put your self on here; Looking for work and so on. You must be on the job while learning the theory I believe it will help enormously. I think @stokielee's point about the pacing is a good mid-way approach. Nice and "organic"

Yes, I did the 2365 level 2 electrical installations at college. There is a government advanced learner loan available for your level 3 course, however they won't fund the 2365 anymore so colleges are doing the 8202 course instead which allows you to get the loan which doesn't need to be paid back til you earn nearly 28000 a year. The 2365 and 8202 are basically the same course.
[automerge]1598878760[/automerge]
Also note you will need do the NVQ level 3, AM2, testing and inspection, 18 th edition after you've done your diploma or along side it to become fully qualified I believe

Last edited:
Yes, I did the 2365 level 2 electrical installations at college. There is a government advanced learner loan available for your level 3 course, however they won't fund the 2365 anymore so colleges are doing the 8202 course instead which allows you to get the loan which doesn't need to be paid back til you earn nearly 28000 a year. The 2365 and 8202 are basically the same course.
[automerge]1598878760[/automerge]
Also note you will need do the NVQ level 3, AM2, testing and inspection, 18 th edition after you've done your diploma or along side it to become fully qualified I believe

Thanks @stokielee

I will look into the 8202, incase that is about anywhere near me and see if there is a pathway to it. The loan might help, if the payback is doable and not just after, so many months, you need to pay back!

Yes, the level 3 onwwards, 18th etc, will be something I will have to head to after getting past these first hurdles.

Thanks again for this info

I don't think there is a real deadline to pay the loan back. It all depends if you earn enough money then you pay a really small percentage of your wage back every month. There is positives and negatives with the loan, the negative being you hard to pay interest on the loan. Like I say, it depends if you earn enough to have to pay any back at all.

Latest update,

My local college offers these two for about £1k each for the the year.

Level 1 Diploma in Introduction to Electrical Installation
Level 2 Diploma Electrical Installation

I asked the online chat about doing level two and they said, I will need to complete the level 1 first! So I worked out, if they insist on level 1, it will mean 20/21 and then 21/22. Summer 2022 I will be on level 2!

Shall I look at another college?

You have to remember that local colleges are fundamentally setup for 16 year olds straight from school... yes yes yes... I know that all ages can go there and do... but the setup is not really for older students. That's why the private sector has filled that gap with all sorts of things to cater for those that do not fit the local college model.

So when you asked about doing level 2 without doing level 1... can you imagine if they allowed 16 year olds to do that ?

I'm firmly of the belief that the whole qualification structure for electricians needs a radical overhaul.

You have to remember that local colleges are fundamentally setup for 16 year olds straight from school... yes yes yes... I know that all ages can go there and do... but the setup is not really for older students. That's why the private sector has filled that gap with all sorts of things to cater for those that do not fit the local college model.

So when you asked about doing level 2 without doing level 1... can you imagine if they allowed 16 year olds to do that ?

I'm firmly of the belief that the whole qualification structure for electricians needs a radical overhaul.

I have a feeling that's what might of happened and that was for the part time evening course!

I can't even get through to the dept, to ask one of the staff members about it too!

That's putting me off the college route as very little is explained on the website and the course breakdown is almost nil.

Might need another rethink!

Hi Chaps,

Just updated the page, yip, south wales for me.

I cant even think about swansea or bridgend as that will be undoable for nightclasses.

Still looking around

These guys are in Cardiff... they don't show an evening option on their website... but call them ? See what they say ?

Reply to Hi All, Quick intro and thinking of a career change, so need some advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net