Discuss Hi all, quick query in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wanttobe

Hi all, new to the site and everything within it. I'm 24, [getting old now] and have recently been made redundant from two jobs and i'm looking for something more stable in the current economic climate and so have decided after long deliberation and thought to become an electrician.

I am just wandering if anyone has any advice on the best method to do this? I live in luton, bedfordshire and have been trawling through the internet for electrical courses and I there are SO many, all offering this and that. I know it should be C & G, i've figured that one out by myself.

What would be helpful though, is what course should i begin to look for? how long would it take for me to become qualified? And does anyone know a reputable place in bedfordshire that would be suitable?

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated, Many thanks,

Julian

Welcome to the forum, hope it proves useful for you.

Depends on what area of electrical work you want to undertake.
First step is decide the right qualifications you need, try this site and then the method of training, approved method is via your local college, or expensive short courses are available that give limited experience but comply with the paperwork requirements.
Have a search on this forum for electrical qualifications to get an idea of what is required.
You can also search for the name of a training provider and see if there is any feedback about them on the forum.
The section of the forum for training is here.

Good luck

[h=2]Thanks richard for the very informative and helpful reply. I have been reading what i need to do to get qualified as an adult apprentice and the information below has been helpful. However, i still have a couple of questions. To achieve these qualifications would i need to fund myself through college, or simply ask various electrician companies around where i live to take me on as an apprentice? What is the best method to go about doing this? Thanks again

The apprentice route - for adults?[/h]You can now qualify as an apprentice at any age. There are financial implications between the age of 19 and 25 and these increase as you go over 25 but it is now possible to have a recognised apprenticeship past the age of 18.
To become a fully qualified electrician through the apprentice route, you need to complete all of the qualifications within the "framework" as laid out by the Sector Skills Council, the Summit Skills. To claim your framework, you need the following qualifications:

• City and Guilds 2357 (including AM2)
  • Maths Functional Skills Level 2 [SUP](1)[/SUP]
  • English Functional Skills Level 2 [SUP](1)[/SUP]
  • ICT Functional Skills Level 2 [SUP](1)[/SUP]
  • Employers Rights and Responsibilities (ERR) [SUP](2)[/SUP]
  • Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS) [SUP](3)[/SUP]

Hi mate welcome to the forum

2357 is more for apprentices 16-18 yr olds and was brought in the replace the 2330 technical certficate and the 2356 NVQ

but its been a bit of a mess and now I here they are bringing another technical cert back out simialr to the 2330 aimed at anyone no matter what the age I believe
check the links provided by richard

as it now looks they have changed there minds again regarding 2357 as you point out
this is what you will find the C&G are good at total confusion

good luck mate keep searching the forum and post your questions someone will always help and advise

Welcome to the forum, hope it proves useful for you.

Depends on what area of electrical work you want to undertake.
First step is decide the right qualifications you need, try this site and then the method of training, approved method is via your local college, or expensive short courses are available that give limited experience but comply with the paperwork requirements.
Have a search on this forum for electrical qualifications to get an idea of what is required.
You can also search for the name of a training provider and see if there is any feedback about them on the forum.
The section of the forum for training is here.

Good luck

Thanks for the link to the electrical qualifications website, exactly the information i was seeking.

Reply to Hi all, quick query in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net