Discuss Hi all in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gt67

Another lateish (41) starter who wants to retrain as a domestic installer.

I am currently working in the telecoms industry but am frustrated with the way the firm is managed and the future of it (have heard rumors of redundancies so I want to get something sorted before its gets too late) etc.

I have 20 years experience working in both residential and business premises in various roles - installation of telephone/structured wiring. I used to test xDSL modems DSLAMs (ADSL, SDSL, VDSL exchange equipment) and am currently a wireless lan surveyor.

I started as an electricians apprentice when I left school but never finished - what a muppet :eek:. I am looking to do one of the intensive courses just to get the relevant qualifications and then start up on my own as a domestic installer. If I do get made redundant I will have a bit of money to pay the bills until I get sorted. I know that some people frown upon these courses but they are the only way people of my age can get qualified without spending 3 years at college (mortgages to pay etc). I have a couple of mates who work in the building trade who have said they will give me some work etc so I can get practical experience that way, I am not exactly new to running cables and knowing how to behave in other peoples houses :D

I would also like to get involved with the installation of home AV kit etc so any pointers about that area would be helpful.

I know this intro is going on a bit so I am off to make a brew now but thanks for taking the time to read this and answer any numpty questions I may have,

Cheers,

Graham

Welcome aboard Graham. I was a late starter myself (mid-30's) but chose to go down the 3 years evening class route. Worked for me because I wanted to do all types of electrical work rather than just domestic. If you are happy just working on domestic jobs then put simply, there is nothing wrong with doing an 'intensive' course and as has been stated here on many an occasion, they are not necessarily a 'back door' route into the trade. Good luck with whatever you choose.

welcome fellow taff

I teach many many people in your situation, if you get made redundant you may also get ReAct funding which will pay for your course

The funding pays for C&G 2382 17th edition, EAL Domestic installer, & C&G 2391 inspection and testing

whereabouts are you?

Reply to Hi all in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net