Discuss Hi all, in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sensei

-
Reaction score
Ive a couple of queries about the AM2. Having tried twice now I failed the c1 safe isolation and even failed part of it that I passed the first time doing the same thing. When isolating the luminaire o the 3 phase board I asked permission then opened the breaker and locked it with a sign on and put the key away. I took the board cover off and proved the test meter then checked L-N, L- E and N-E then reproved ithe meter. Then I replaced the board cover and used the step provided to remove the luminaire cover. Proved the test meter and checked L, N E at the fitting in the same sequence as before and with each wall switch in a different position the reproved. I replaced the luminaire cover. I did the same for the 3phase DOL starter but using the 10step sequence for testing and by replacing covers on the board in the same way. To isolate the whole board I did the same but just one the main breaker using the 10step sequence then replaced the cover. I aslo failed the instal on the data section. I fitted it all but when testing began I realised line 1 and 6 didnt light up the meter. I redid both and they didnt work and redid them again after getti g line 1 to light up but not 6. I asked the examinor who did the same and then said the face plate was faulty so not to worry about it and he would note that on the exam notes so i left it as he instructed. Any ideas? Cheers

" Light up the metre", not sure what you mean, were you not using a recognised voltage indicator? plus proving unit

Hi,

From what you have written you seem to have taken off the db cover during safe isolation on the lighting & dol? Is that correct.

When isolating the lighting circuit for example:

Identify the correct circuit
Ask permission
Lock off + warning labels & key in pocket
Check AVI as per GS38
Prove AVI
Carry out dead tests at light accessory dont forget to do all the swiches positions so you test the strappers.
Then redo the dead tests again at the switches
Reprove AVI

No need to take db cover off.

" Light up the metre", not sure what you mean, were you not using a recognised voltage indicator? plus proving unit
They provided a data cable test meter for that bit with the cycle of 8 lights to show the cable is fully connected. Each number from 1-8 lights up to show the connection is true.
[automerge]1576781429[/automerge]
Hi,

From what you have written you seem to have taken off the db cover during safe isolation on the lighting & dol? Is that correct.

When isolating the lighting circuit for example:

Identify the correct circuit
Ask permission
Lock off + warning labels & key in pocket
Check AVI as per GS38
Prove AVI
Carry out dead tests at light accessory dont forget to do all the swiches positions so you test the strappers.
Then redo the dead tests again at the switches
Reprove AVI

No need to take db cover off.
Hi, thanks for replying. I thought that was the case but asked soneone I know who trains peolle for the am2 and he told me to take the db cover off and replace it before testing the light too
So i dont do that bit then. For the whole 3phase i did that so how would that fail as I couldnt test it without removing the cover? Ta

They provided a data cable test meter for that bit with the cycle of 8 lights to show the cable is fully connected. Each number from 1-8 lights up to show the connection is true.

Hi, thanks for replying. I thought that was the case but asked soneone I know who trains peolle for the am2 and he told me to take the db cover off and replace it before testing the light too
So i dont do that bit then. For the whole 3phase i did that so how would that fail as I couldnt test it without removing the cover? Ta
Don't make any sense Mate sorry

When your doing safe isolation in the AM2 for the lighting & dol circuit your doing this for ie maintenance purposes. Ie so you could change the light or dol starter. This covers both single phase & 3 phase.

When asked to isolate the db you will need to do your safe isolation procedure & you will need to take the db cover off to do your tests. This covers for example maintenance work in the db ie adding new circuits etc.

When your doing safe isolation in the AM2 for the lighting & dol circuit your doing this for ie maintenance purposes. Ie so you could change the light or dol starter. This covers both single phase & 3 phase.

When asked to isolate the db you will need to do your safe isolation procedure & you will need to take the db cover off to do your tests. This covers for example maintenance work in the db ie adding new circuits etc.
Cheers. can i just double check one more thing you said. Once you have tested the light fitting you remove the face plate from each switch (2 & an intermediate) and test them one at a time too in the same way. Then you're done?

Cheers. can i just double check one more thing you said. Once you have tested the light fitting you remove the face plate from each switch (2 & an intermediate) and test them one at a time too in the same way. Then you're done?

Yes but remember to reprove AVI to confirm that it's still working

Stupid question; where did you put the key?
Ah yeah I forgot to add that in my post. It was in my pocket for each one. I reckon it was removing the db cover that failed me despite getting advice beforehand to do that and for the final 3phase im not sure as I did everything as far as i remember.

Seems kinda odd that they don't tell you what you failed on ? Is it supposed to be a secret ?
Its a very closed exam. You get a printout showing which sections you fail but no detail. They said you coud ring for feedback but it wouldnt include any detail. Given that section is 8.5 hours long and costs hundreds of pounds I think they should give you more information but maybe thats just me. 40% pass rate at nearly £700 a go...

Reply to Hi all, in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net