Discuss Hi and thanks for having me. Can I wire an Au plug to this fan? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Kinda was hoodwinked on Ebay. Pic had black wire, taped and end hidden. No mention of no plug. I guess you get what you pay for. Liv'n'learn. Anyway, I can return it, but was wondering if I can simply wire it to a plug and use it. Tried Google but no mention of Fans with 2 red wires. Apreciate any advice, Cheers.Hi and thanks for having me. Can I wire an Au plug to this fan? 20191117_213828 - EletriciansForums.net

Not sure of the rules in Aus but those wires only look single insulated and it is not clear if it needs an earth. From its country of origin I am none too sure I would use it.

You could connect a plug and it would work, but whether the result would comply with any applicable regulations is highly doubtful.

Yeah definitely wouldn't comply just whacking a plug on the end. Doesn't inspire confidence that the rest of the unit would meet Australian Standards either.
If you're in western Sydney I could take a look at it and see if a new plug and lead could be fitted, best I can offer from here.

In Australia you cannot put a plug on anything unless you have at minimum a restricted electrical licence, are registered and insured.

Attachments

• Hi and thanks for having me. Can I wire an Au plug to this fan? no no - EletriciansForums.net
    no no.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 6
Yeah definitely wouldn't comply just whacking a plug on the end. Doesn't inspire confidence that the rest of the unit would meet Australian Standards either.
If you're in western Sydney I could take a look at it and see if a new plug and lead could be fitted, best I can offer from here.
Cheers. Apreciate it. Binning it and grabing a "better" fan.
[automerge]1574076840[/automerge]
In Australia you cannot put a plug on anything unless you have at minimum a restricted electrical licence, are registered and insured.
Yeah, not going there. Grabing another one from a more reputable retailer. Thanks.
[automerge]1574077015[/automerge]
Throw that Chinese ---- in the bin cobber.
Might "throw" it at the sellers head. My bad for going the cheap option. Ya' live ya' learn.
[automerge]1574077224[/automerge]
Yeah, not going there. Grabing another one from a more reputable retailer. Thanks.
Don't worry, 2 red wires indicates that you got the delux model.
If you were enthusiastic as me, you would already have a plug on it and sitting in front of that sweet cool air.
I'm here if you need me
Aint the red ones supposed to be faster. Wait til I paint some stripes on her. then you'll see some serious ----. Thanks though. Years ago i would have thrown caution to the wind. A tad wiser these days.

Last edited:
I bought something similar in the UK, it was made in Poland by a company called Dospel. It had no wires - needed hard-wiring into the cable from the switch which was quite fiddly with 1.5mm twin & earth.

It was rated 220/230V but IMO these things always have loads of contingency in the ratings so I don't think it will blow up at 240V. Has twice the air throughput of yours and is still very quiet.

Attachments

• Hi and thanks for having me. Can I wire an Au plug to this fan? Dospel Euro 3 Fan - EletriciansForums.net
    Dospel Euro 3 Fan.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Hi and thanks for having me. Can I wire an Au plug to this fan? Fan box - EletriciansForums.net
    Fan box.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 5

Reply to Hi and thanks for having me. Can I wire an Au plug to this fan? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock