Discuss how to prove in a book that the highest x5 of an RCD test is sufficient please? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, could anyone tell me how to prove in a book that the highest x5 of an RCD test is sufficient please? It’s a question on my am2 testing. Thanks

I’m also struggling on how to check that my measure PFC at DB will trip the breakers in time. This question was a tick box on the exam so if anyone knows how to work this out or a page in a book, that’d be great. Thanks again

the highest of the 2 readings @ x5 must be < 40mSec.

generally the current required to trip a breaker within 0.4 secs. is 5 x In. but checking time/current curves will confirm if pfc is high enough. same for fuses. check the data.

I'm not sure I quite understand your first question. The purpose of the different test currents are to verify that the RCD trip characteristics meet the relevant standards. So 0.5*In should not trip, 1*In should trip in under 300ms (I think), and under 40ms at 5*In. In reality most will trip under 40ms at In anyway.

As for the disconnection times your PFC is of course related to Zs, but fundamentally it is the fault current that causes the OCPD to disconnect. Depending on the type of OCPD and the circuit requirements for disconnection time you can look up the characteristics to find the current needed to disconnect in, say, under 0.4s and if your PFC exceeds that you know your circuit is adequately protected.

E.g. a 32A B-curve MCB needs 5*32A = 160A to guarantee you hit the "instantaneous" magnetic trip (which is usually under 20ms). So if your end of circuit PFC is above 160A then a hard fault will cause it to disconnect fast enough.

Now because it is Zs that is (more or less) fixed, and so PFC = Uo / Zs, when you are testing what you really want to know is "will it always meet the disconnection times?" so what you test for is at minimum Uo (0.95 * 230V) and allowing for cold versus hot conductors (0.8 factor) will my Zs lead to a minimum PFC that meets the disconnection current needed?

Those Zs values are tabulated in the OSG for ease of reference for typical fuses and MCBs.

For MCCB you have to look up the manufacturer's spec and allow for any adjustable settings to be sure, as they are not as standardised as the B/C/D curve MCBs.

Last edited:
I’m also struggling on how to check that my measure PFC at DB will trip the breakers in time. This question was a tick box on the exam so if anyone knows how to work this out or a page in a book, that’d be great. Thanks again
I think possibly you are confusing PFC as you state you are measuring at the DB?.
Prospective short circuit current is measured at the DB or intake to verify that the breaking capacity of protective devices is not exceeded. Measure between live conductors and between live conductors and earth with bonding in place. The highest reading will be the PSCC and is compared to the breaking capacity of protective devices. For example a 60898 MCB normally has a BC of 6ka, so the measured PSCC at the DB would not be expected to exceed this.
As above, PFC at the furthest point of a circuit will determine the operating time of the protective device and is not measured at the DB but at the furthest end of a circuit. This is the Zs reading and determines the fault current.
So a Zs of 1 ohm on a 230v supply will result in a maximum earth fault current of 230a.

the highest of the 2 readings @ x5 must be < 40mSec.

generally the current required to trip a breaker within 0.4 secs. is 5 x In. but checking time/current curves will confirm if pfc is high enough. same for fuses. check the data.

hi thanks for the reply, in the exam it asks for a table to show the trip time is okay, do you know which table in either GN3 OSG or 18th please?

I think possibly you are confusing PFC as you state you are measuring at the DB?.
Prospective short circuit current is measured at the DB or intake to verify that the breaking capacity of protective devices is not exceeded. Measure between live conductors and between live conductors and earth with bonding in place. The highest reading will be the PSCC and is compared to the breaking capacity of protective devices. For example a 60898 MCB normally has a BC of 6ka, so the measured PSCC at the DB would not be expected to exceed this.
As above, PFC at the furthest point of a circuit will determine the operating time of the protective device and is not measured at the DB but at the furthest end of a circuit. This is the Zs reading and determines the fault current.
So a Zs of 1 ohm on a 230v supply will result in a maximum earth fault current of 230a.

Thankyou that’s great, I understand it now?
[automerge]1595932958[/automerge]
I'm not sure I quite understand your first question. The purpose of the different test currents are to verify that the RCD trip characteristics meet the relevant standards. So 0.5*In should not trip, 1*In should trip in under 300ms (I think), and under 40ms at 5*In. In reality most will trip under 40ms at In anyway.

As for the disconnection times your PFC is of course related to Zs, but fundamentally it is the fault current that causes the OCPD to disconnect. Depending on the type of OCPD and the circuit requirements for disconnection time you can look up the characteristics to find the current needed to disconnect in, say, under 0.4s and if your PFC exceeds that you know your circuit is adequately protected.

E.g. a 32A B-curve MCB needs 5*32A = 160A to guarantee you hit the "instantaneous" magnetic trip (which is usually under 20ms). So if your end of circuit PFC is above 160A then a hard fault will cause it to disconnect fast enough.

Now because it is Zs that is (more or less) fixed, and so PFC = Uo / Zs, when you are testing what you really want to know is "will it always meet the disconnection times?" so what you test for is at minimum Uo (0.95 * 230V) and allowing for cold versus hot conductors (0.8 factor) will my Zs lead to a minimum PFC that meets the disconnection current needed?

Those Zs values are tabulated in the OSG for ease of reference for typical fuses and MCBs.

For MCCB you have to look up the manufacturer's spec and allow for any adjustable settings to be sure, as they are not as standardised as the B/C/D curve MCBs.
Ahh with you! Okay thank you for your reply. It is greatly appreciated ?

Hi, could anyone tell me how to prove in a book that the highest x5 of an RCD test is sufficient please?
Hi - better late than never - I was thinking that you may not have got the exact answer you needed. Which I think is Regulation 643.8 which says in its note the 5x test is the one to use for an additional protection RCD.

Reply to how to prove in a book that the highest x5 of an RCD test is sufficient please? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock