Discuss Hi everyone, new to the Forum, no electrical knowledge in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Firstly, thank you all for your help and advice.
I've just phoned the electrician. He said it makes no difference whether the ovens are plugged into a double socket or two single sockets as it's wired off the 32A ring main. He said the wiring into the junction box is going nowhere, it's very secure. He said he will screw everything onto the wall and not leave it dangling. I forgot to mention the metal back on the double socket and any IP, I'll throw them into the conversation when I see him next week, though I'm sure he'll have an answer (hopefully valid). I will also ask for a minor works certificate on completion.
Do his explanations sound reasonable to you? Thank you
(My Bold) the concern is with the rating of the actual socket, as already been pointed out ^^ a double socket is only rated for 20A continuous use. This means the actual socket accessory rating not the rating of the circuit feeding it. This should have been considered as part of the electrical design for this job. Its not that it posses an immediate safety issue, since the ovens are not likely to have a continuous demand at full rating, its that the socket will most likely deteriorate far quicker and create a possible (avoidable) future fault.

I have seen situations where electric heaters of similar rating have been left on for long periods of time and created visible heat damage to the plug and socket outlet.

it is recommended that high power appliances like that are not fed from a general purpose ring.

Should not the two single sockets he is going to put in to replace the double be separately fed from the isolator switch and not ganged together from one cable?

Since the sockets are fed from a cooker switch, I assume this is incorrect, and the circuit is a 32A radial. If not, then it's certainly not acceptable.
Agreed, however he/you have Said it is. Fed off a ring.

Fixed loads of more than 2kW should not be fed from a RFC (ring final circuit = "ring main").
You have two fixed loads of nearly 13A (3kW) each connected to this circuit, and connected by a double socket on a spur with a limit of 20A.

So, do you also think it is OK to have 2 x 13amp ovens on a double socket attached to a 32A ring main? Thankyou
depending on the current load, they can be on a ring, but separate single sockets, not on a double socket. rule od thumb is that any load over 2kW should not be on a socket circuit. it should be on it's own dedicated circuit. 13A is 3kWatts.

Is this thread going round in circles?
Is this thread going round in circles?
Yes, and it's my fault, because although everyone is doing their best to explain things to me, I'm struggling to understand as there seems to be a couple of differing views out there. The electrician has said it's OK to have a double socket as it's wired into a 32amp ring main, which he informs me he's going to change to a 40amp next time he comes. All that goes straight over my head. I would just like to know is he right or is he wrong? Thankyou

Fixed loads of more than 2kW should not be fed from a RFC (ring final circuit = "ring main").
You have two fixed loads of nearly 13A (3kW) each connected to this circuit, and connected by a double socket on a spur with a limit of 20A.
Thankyou.
depending on the current load, they can be on a ring, but separate single sockets, not on a double socket. rule od thumb is that any load over 2kW should not be on a socket circuit. it should be on it's own dedicated circuit. 13A is 3kWatts.
Thankyou, I've said that to him on two occasions and he's insisting that it makes no difference whether it's 2 singles or one double. I'm really hacked off now. I'm going to have to get another electrician in to have a look because clearly he's fobbing me off - but why? For the sake of two single sockets that I'll be paying for anyway?!

There's no need to consult another electrician. Find the make of the double socket, and look up its spec. on the manufacture's website.

I still find it difficult to believe that someone has connected a cooker control panel with built in 13A s/socket into a RFC. Is there a MCB in the consumer unit labeled "cooker" that controls this circuit and nothing else?

There's no need to consult another electrician. Find the make of the double socket, and look up its spec. on the manufacture's website.
Thankyou, I don't know what the make is there's nothing written on it ? He said that as it has a 32 amp cable wired into it it's sufficient for 2 x 13 amp plugs whether in single sockets or a double. Is a double socket still only 20 amps even when the cable it's connected to is 32 amps? I really am out of my depth here ?

Must admit, it would be interesting to find out EXACTLY what has gone on.

The d socket has a maximum output rating of 20amps....full stop.

Look up double socket outlet rating on line.....it should be there.

Last edited:

Reply to Hi everyone, new to the Forum, no electrical knowledge in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock