Discuss Hi everyone, new to the Forum, no electrical knowledge in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a new homeowner member and would be really grateful for some advice as I know virtually nothing about electrics. My question/worry involves two single ovens I've just had fitted that the electrician has plugged into a double socket. There is also an isolation switch fitted in the cupboard. I have read that a double socket is good for 20 amps, these two ovens are 2.85kw each and are fitted with 13 amp plugs. Doesn't this add up to 26 amps being used if both ovens are on at the same time? Isn't that a potential fire hazard? Previously in the same place was a slot in double oven cooker wired in with a thick cable. I have also had an induction hob fitted and that has been wired in. I have mentioned my worries to the electrician who tried to explain things to me (went over my head) and ultimately said a double socket is fine. But I'm still unsure and it's niggling me.Hi everyone, new to the Forum, no electrical knowledge wirin - EletriciansForums.net I've attached a photo. Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou

can you post a copy of the installation report, with the personal details removed?

It looks like a bit of a rush job, i would prefer to see a surface mount back box on that socket and the whole Assembley, screwed to the wall.

"Rush" is only one of a number of applicable adjectives to this job, I fear. IP issues around that unmounted 'flush' box for a start.
2.85kW at 230V = 12.4A, which is a bit close to the limit for continuous current through a 13A plug in any case. The ovens won't be drawing this current continuously when they're up to temperature, but will be for a considerable time before that. I'd expect to see deterioration of the plug and socket after a year or two of use for that reason alone, even if the sockets were single ones.
Yes, the limit the manufacturers state for a double 13A socket is around 20A, but can that be exceeded here, anyway? What size is the cable going into that socket, and what does it connect to at it's other end? Does it go back to the consumer unit?

A bodge job if ever I saw one, no IP protection on the cable entry, box not fixed, and the JB is ll wrong. Did an electrician do this? if so he want's to give up. Terrible job,

Hello everyone, I'm a new homeowner member and would be really grateful for some advice as I know virtually nothing about electrics. My question/worry involves two single ovens I've just had fitted that the electrician has plugged into a double socket. There is also an isolation switch fitted in the cupboard. I have read that a double socket is good for 20 amps, these two ovens are 2.85kw each and are fitted with 13 amp plugs. Doesn't this add up to 26 amps being used if both ovens are on at the same time? Isn't that a potential fire hazard? Previously in the same place was a slot in double oven cooker wired in with a thick cable. I have also had an induction hob fitted and that has been wired in. I have mentioned my worries to the electrician who tried to explain things to me (went over my head) and ultimately said a double socket is fine. But I'm still unsure and it's niggling me.View attachment 63687 I've attached a photo. Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou
Completely agree with the other replies. That is appalling and dangerous. No electrician, even a half decent one would do a job like that. Frustrating to see!

agree. it's an abortion. about as bad as what i seen today. there'll be a thread soon.

there's a coupleofmembers in yorkshire. 1 maybe close enough to turn a donkey's dangler into something safe.

I'll agree it's crap work.

A couple of things....did those moulded plugs come with the ovens?
If so, they are meant to be plugged in. The current rating seems high, though.

One thing definitely wrong regarding load.... as said previously, double sockets are required to handle a maximum of 20amps.

Last edited:
can you post a copy of the installation report, with the personal details removed?

It looks like a bit of a rush job, i would prefer to see a surface mount back box on that socket and the whole Assembley, screwed to the wall.
Thankyou. Installation report? Haven't had one. Though the electrician hasn't finished yet, I've a couple of plugs to be put in elsewhere. Perhaps I'll get it when he's finished....

I'll agree it's crap work.

A couple of things....did those moulded plugs come with the ovens?
If so, they are meant to be plugged in. The current rating seems high, though.

One thing definitely wrong regarding load.... as said previously, double sockets are required to handle a maximum of 20amps.
Thankyou. Yes the ovens came with the moulded plugs. I chose ovens with plugs on as the electrician said more power would have to be added if I bought ovens requiring hard wiring (or words to that effect!)

well, above is a snapshot of what electricians think to his installation so far.
feel free to point him in the direction of the forum if he wants to read or respond.

however, you should be expecting and insisting on some paperwork.
if it includes a new circuit, then it should be an electrical installation report.
if it is just a change to an existing circuit it should be a minor works certificate.

either way, it should be designed, installed, tested, certified. In that order.

agree. it's an abortion. about as bad as what i seen today. there'll be a thread soon.

there's a coupleofmembers in yorkshire. 1 maybe close enough to turn a donkey's dangler into something safe.
Thankyou. Now I'm really worried. Is there something wrong other than the plugs hanging mid air in a double socket?

Thankyou. Yes the ovens came with the moulded plugs. I chose ovens with plugs on as the electrician said more power would have to be added if I bought ovens requiring hard wiring (or words to that effect!)
2 x single sockets would have been better and more likely to comply with the reg's.
however there are issues with what has been shown that are far away from the standards of most professional electricians.

Looks like a floating junction box with cables just loose and flapping about as well. Definitely not to regs!!

well, above is a snapshot of what electricians think to his installation so far.
feel free to point him in the direction of the forum if he wants to read or respond.

however, you should be expecting and insisting on some paperwork.
if it includes a new circuit, then it should be an electrical installation report.
if it is just a change to an existing circuit it should be a minor works certificate.

either way, it should be designed, installed, tested, certified. In that order.
Thankyou, it is just a change to an existing circuit. I'll make sure I get a minor works certificate. Do you think the rest of the wiring, including that circular thing with wires sticking out looks OK? It's difficult to challenge someone on the quality of their work when you don't know a thing about what you're looking at :(

Thankyou, it is just a change to an existing circuit. I'll make sure I get a minor works certificate. Do you think the rest of the wiring, including that circular thing with wires sticking out looks OK? It's difficult to challenge someone on the quality of their work when you don't know a thing about what you're looking at :(

No, that type of junction box has no cable grip facility, and so the cables should be clipped to the surface. Either that or a different type of junction box should be used.

2 x single sockets would have been better and more likely to comply with the reg's.
however there are issues with what has been shown that are far away from the standards of most professional electricians.
Thankyou. Could you tell me what other problems you've noticed please?

Oh blimey, thankyou for highlighting that. Not looking forward to the upcoming confrontation....

It's never pleasant this sort of thing. But you've paid an electrician and so you shouldn't receive a bad DIY budget.

As above, show him this thread if he isn't too forthcoming.

Keep us posted!

Reply to Hi everyone, new to the Forum, no electrical knowledge in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock