Discuss Hi from Aus in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SparktAU

Just thought i would drop in and say Hi, rub it in I'm here and your there :hurray:, with the 35,000 skilled worker shortage in Australia and the recent softening of the regulations for migrants from UK, US and Canada to help fill this massive void, its never been a better time.
Its winter here at the moment and sitting around 20C during the day and 2-4C at night, not too much different from home except THE SUN IS ALWAYS OUT!!!
Pay is pretty good here, better then home, some things for every day living are cheaper and some more expensive. I'm in Brisbane (Your either going to want to target Brisbane or Perth) The climate in Brisbane is superb, its cheaper then Perth, its twice the size and has more FIFO work opportunities in my mind with operations on the gas and mineral sector through out the State of Queensland and New Caledonia and Papua New Guinea ( plus FIFO is where the BIG BUCKS are ).
Hope i have made my introduction interesting.

PS You know at home some days its like every every second person is a aussie, there like taxi's, bloody everywhere, its like that here with us "poms" at times, so you never feel alone or home sick :)

Thanks Jason,
Im more then happy to answer any questions regarding how to find a contractor in Aus to hook up with, typical rates here, Im however not sure what has changed recently to softening the regulations to work here, as i arrived before this :(
But i can find out if anyone asks :)

Thanks Jason,
Im more then happy to answer any questions regarding how to find a contractor in Aus to hook up with, typical rates here, Im however not sure what has changed recently to softening the regulations to work here, as i arrived before this :(
But i can find out if anyone asks :)

Hi SparktAU and welcome

I will take you up on your offer - I would like any/all info you can give as I hope to go to Oz ASAP and probably the most instrumental part of that would be finding employment

I have looked into it extensively and I know that a permanent visa is the best option but I would prefer to go on a sponsored 457 if thats possible (supposedly the rules were relaxed to facilitate this but I havent noticed much difference) as that means I`m stepping straight into a job and earning cash - what visa did you obtain?

How did you gain a license? The Vetassess route seems to be what all foreign nationals are pointed towards but I really dont like the thought of going back to being an apprentice for 12 months with a restricted license and log books to fill in etc so had hoped to do the ARTC test once there which is much faster (and cheaper) - what did you do?

Is there still lots of work/opportunities or has it slowed down? How you finding the cost of living?

Thanks in advance

Reply to Hi from Aus in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock