Discuss Induction hob and oven not working properly in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys here is the situation,switching all 4 heaters in induction hob(7.4kW)and it stops working.Taking out the oven (2.5kW)which is just underneath and find out that hob and oven are both plugged in to double socket.There is no cooker connection unit but there is cooker switch above.From the cooker to double socket underneath there is a 6mm cable.Also from cooker to CU there is 6mm cable and 32a fuse.How would you solve this issue?Thank you in advance for all the answers.

It’s been installed incorrectly.

The hob will not work through a 13A plug, although the oven will.

the double socket should be removed and replaced with a proper cooker outlet onto the flex of the hob, which should be larger than I imagine it is presently.

Ideally the oven should be on its own 16A radial supply, but it could be plugged into the kitchen socket circuit in the meantime.
Alternatively, another fused outlet beside the cooker outlet fed from the same cooker switch.

change the double socket for a dual cooker outlet. those appliances should never be on a plug and socket.

Can you just put fused spur next to CCU,and feed it from it,because if you get double cooker outlet and feed oven from it,cable that leads to oven has no protection as it is only 1.5mm and as I mentioned before it is all on 32 amp fuse.Once again thank you for answers.

I understand that one outlet will feed the cooker directly and the other will feed fused spur and then oven?Thank you for the answer.
orfit a cookeroutlet for hob, then fit FCU adjacent. using a dual outlet back box.
1626180934260.png

Did the hob and oven previously operate together trouble free when fed from the 32A mcb? Ie many meals cooked over many months and then recently this problem manifested and the client then called you?

orfit a cookeroutlet for hob, then fit FCU adjacent. using a dual outlet back box.
View attachment 87722

View attachment 87722

Did the hob and oven previously operate together trouble free when fed from the 32A mcb? Ie many meals cooked over many months and then recently this problem manifested and the client then called you?
What I was told the client has moved in recently and it was probably first time when they switched on all the 4 heaters,that caused overloading of 13amp fuse which was in the plug,there was no issues untill they were using no more than 3 heaters of the hob

What are the details of the hob? Some hobs have power management which can be programmed to ensure the current and power demand waveforms remains within the capacity of the supply and its overcurrent protection In this case the fuse in the 13A plug.

ps has the hob or oven been professionally cleaned recently
ps2 does the mob trip immediately or after a while in which case how long after?
ps3 I,d ampclamp to the feed to the double socket.

Last edited:
What are the details of the hob? Some hobs have power management which can be programmed to ensure the current and power demand waveforms remains within the capacity of the supply and its overcurrent protection In this case the fuse in the 13A plug.
I do not think that hob had any of that but as it was previously said it should not be connected through the plug,should have its own cooker connection unit,this way no problem with 13a fuse

Reply to Induction hob and oven not working properly in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net