Discuss Hi guys I'm looking to start my training this year and am looking for some advice on the options i have open to me. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good evening ladies and gents,
I'm an adult of 27 who is finally taking the plunge into the electrical industry, and from what i can see have a few options open to me and i'm not overly sure what ones would really set me off on the best start.
I have recently applied for multiple apprenticeships in my local area, but i'm not feeling too hopeful with getting one, and even if i did i don't know if i could financially take that hit as i have a mortgage ect, i really wish i decided to do this at 16 as it would save so much headache.

The other options i have open to me i know are far from ideal, and wont make me an electrician over night, i am under no delusions of grandeur here. Getting where i want to be is going to be some tough slog, but it's something i want and i will get there eventually, i'm in no real rush as i have 30+ years left of work (Shoot me).

The first one is an one night a week evening course in my local college. The only problem with this that i can see, is that it's an EAL diploma level 2&3. I have a brief interview for this next month where i can ask more questions. I'm not convinced this is the way to go, as when i look for ANY electrical job online to see what i really need, all of them ask for C&G as i'm assuming they're the industry standard.
If i was to go about the 2 year college course, would i be severely disadvantaged with not having a C&G qualification?
Also is there a way i can find what colleges near me offer C&G courses, because if it meant traveling a little bit after work one night a week to learn properly i would prefer that over the next option(s).

Secondly i have been reading on this forum for a while and have searched and searched and of the "fast" courses i have seen the TradeSkills4U C&G 2365 L2&3 recommended a lot to people in a situation similar to me. I have seen people asking about domestic installer courses which i have toyed with the idea for a while, but realised it won't sent me out into the world with anywhere near enough knowledge.
The main thing i am wondering about this course is, will i be able to still go self-employed to get real life experience in a Part P Scam, completing smaller jobs until my competence grows (i assume i can as i will have more qualifications and knowledge than if i had just completed a domestic installer course?) I'd start self employed in the evenings/weekends whilst still staying in my full time office job.
I'd like to be able to work self employed along side my current job so i can learn on the job so to speak, Either doing small jobs i am comfortable with as well as working for agencies as a mate/Improver, is this feasible with this course?

Whilst i am waiting to start what ever form of training is best for me, i would like to start studying, to mentally be ahead and prepared. Could you recommend any literature to me that would be good for me to read, or even good people to watch on youtube who really go into depth?

And finally i see people getting told to do agency work as a mate/improver - does anyone have experience in this, and if so, sites of any agencies that i could look into.

Thank you all for your time, and sorry to poke the hornets nest with this hot topic...which i'm sure you're all bored of hearing.
Rhys.

TL;DR
Is and EAL qualification any good?
Good evening ladies and gents,
I'm an adult of 27 who is finally taking the plunge into the electrical industry, and from what i can see have a few options open to me and i'm not overly sure what ones would really set me off on the best start.
I have recently applied for multiple apprenticeships in my local area, but i'm not feeling too hopeful with getting one, and even if i did i don't know if i could financially take that hit as i have a mortgage ect, i really wish i decided to do this at 16 as it would save so much headache.

The other options i have open to me i know are far from ideal, and wont make me an electrician over night, i am under no delusions of grandeur here. Getting where i want to be is going to be some tough slog, but it's something i want and i will get there eventually, i'm in no real rush as i have 30+ years left of work (Shoot me).

The first one is an one night a week evening course in my local college. The only problem with this that i can see, is that it's an EAL diploma level 2&3. I have a brief interview for this next month where i can ask more questions. I'm not convinced this is the way to go, as when i look for ANY electrical job online to see what i really need, all of them ask for C&G as i'm assuming they're the industry standard.
If i was to go about the 2 year college course, would i be severely disadvantaged with not having a C&G qualification?
Also is there a way i can find what colleges near me offer C&G courses, because if it meant traveling a little bit after work one night a week to learn properly i would prefer that over the next option(s).

Secondly i have been reading on this forum for a while and have searched and searched and of the "fast" courses i have seen the TradeSkills4U C&G 2365 L2&3 recommended a lot to people in a situation similar to me. I have seen people asking about domestic installer courses which i have toyed with the idea for a while, but realised it won't sent me out into the world with anywhere near enough knowledge.
The main thing i am wondering about this course is, will i be able to still go self-employed to get real life experience in a Part P Scam, completing smaller jobs until my competence grows (i assume i can as i will have more qualifications and knowledge than if i had just completed a domestic installer course?) I'd start self employed in the evenings/weekends whilst still staying in my full time office job.
I'd like to be able to work self employed along side my current job so i can learn on the job so to speak, Either doing small jobs i am comfortable with as well as working for agencies as a mate/Improver, is this feasible with this course?

Whilst i am waiting to start what ever form of training is best for me, i would like to start studying, to mentally be ahead and prepared. Could you recommend any literature to me that would be good for me to read, or even good people to watch on youtube who really go into depth?

And finally i see people getting told to do agency work as a mate/improver - does anyone have experience in this, and if so, sites of any agencies that i could look into.

Thank you all for your time, and sorry to poke the hornets nest with this hot topic...which i'm sure you're all bored of hearing.
Rhys.

Hi Rhys, good to see another person on the wrong end of the apprenticeship age bracket.

In theory the only difference between EAL and C&G is name, the syllabuses should be very close to what is actually covered. You can call City and Guilds or there should be (iirc) a search function on Thier site allowing you to find the nearest providers to you.

Fast Track courses, from what I've seen get mixed reaction in the industry and most prefer to take learners that have done the "long route" as over the course of that there was more opportunity to get experience (2-3 years compared to 6-8 weeks) - That's my experience anyway.

Books;
  • IET 18th Edition Onsite Guide - MUST
  • IET BS7671 Wiring Regulations - NICITY
  • IET Student's Guide to Wiring Regulations - NICITY
  • Unite Electricians Guide (Inspection and Testing & Best Practice) - MUST
- The City & Guilds Textbook: Book 1&2 Electrical Installations for the Level 3 Apprenticeship (5357), Level 2 Technical Certificate (8202) & Level 2 Diploma (2365) (City & Guilds Textbooks) - There are 2 books - Recommended
- IET Electrician's guide to building regulations - NICITY

thrres a few more but this should be a solid base to get started.

ove got no experience of agencies so can't comment, hope this helps

Reply to Hi guys I'm looking to start my training this year and am looking for some advice on the options i have open to me. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net