Discuss Hi guys, new member here needing advice on workshop wiring. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Martin Turner

Hi guys, new guy here and may need some help with my new home workshop wiring.

I currently work on crane's and straddle carriers so have a mechanical and electrical knowledge on drive's, motors, PLC controls etc.

Also I still have my Gas Safe running and I am still on the Worcester WAI scheme so have a knowledge on heating system and control wiring.

What exactly would you like to ask regarding your workshop electrical installation, an idea of the size ans what applications you intend using would be a good starting place, along with what you have already with regards to electrics.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I haven't started yet as today I am on shift at Southampton docks.

Long story short I have a split two way board in our house and the existing 10 mm that did our shower via a 40A MCB was done away with a few years ago but I left it in the loft to feed a future workshop.
The attached work shop it now built down the side of our house and the 10mm is now in there ready to progress with.

The questions:-

1. As this cable is already protected by a 30ma RCD would you just fit a board in the workshop with just a main switch and MCB's?.

2. As above but fit a RCD protected board in the workshop but then you would have two RCD's in parallel?.

3. Remove the 40A MCB from my house board and fit onto the non protected side a 40A RCBO, this would stop the house tripping if the workshop trips.
This would be a harder option though as the previous owners boxed in our consumer unit so you can only open the door at the moment.

In the workshop:-

Lighting
32A ring for sockets
1X 16A socket
1X 32A socket

Thanks in advance.

Wire the 10mm2 onto a non RCD protected CB in the house CU and fit a garage CU in the workshop complete with RCD protection and CBs for circuit protection, this would limit any earth fault tripping to the workshop and alleviate any trips into the house to reset an RCD. In my opinion

Wire the 10mm2 onto a non RCD protected CB in the house CU and fit a garage CU in the workshop complete with RCD protection and CBs for circuit protection, this would limit any earth fault tripping to the workshop and alleviate any trips into the house to reset an RCD. In my opinion
Unless the 10.0 requires additional rcd protection.

Thanks for the advice, I could do it that way but the 10mm wouldn't be protected between the two boards if it's fed from the non protected side. It would probably be ok though as the only part of the cable you can get at is where it runs across my loft of our house and then through the wall into the workshop.

If any part of it is buried in a wall at a depth of less than 50mm and without earthed containment it requires additional rcd protection. If this is not the case and fault protection can be maintained without the use of an rcd then you can omit rcd protection.

The original 10mm shower feed goes from the CB, through the wall to the outside and then in black plastic conduit up the wall and then back into my loft space.
Clipped through the loft and then did drop originally into a shower isolation point, this has been disconnected and run into the workshop.

The original 10mm shower feed goes from the CB, through the wall to the outside and then in black plastic conduit up the wall and then back into my loft space.
Clipped through the loft and then did drop originally into a shower isolation point, this has been disconnected and run into the workshop.
Any joint between CU in the house and the workshop?

without seeing what condition the 10mm cable is in and wether any of it is showing on it's journey outside I would go with the harder option there and remove the mcb, fit a RCBO on the original board and then just use mcb's on the board in the workshop bearing in mind this work would be notifiable under part p and you would need an eic.

without seeing what condition the 10mm cable is in and wether any of it is showing on it's journey outside I would go with the harder option there and remove the mcb, fit a RCBO on the original board and then just use mcb's on the board in the workshop bearing in mind this work would be notifiable under part p and you would need an eic.
Which ever way you did it.

Yes sorry, I meant notifiable and needing certification either way
We don't actually know the condition of the 10mm2 cable, has it been jointed in any way, has it been tested? Thing a bit deeper I would go along with your thoughts RCD at house C/U CBs in workshop, of course we also have to take into account any other services in the workshop that would need any supplementary bonding. Would that be a consideration? what do you think?

No we don't, my above answer would be going with the assumption that the cable is unjointed and tests fine still. For me the supplementary bonding depends on what equipment he is planning on using in there and what installation method. If he runs the cables in any conduit/trunking then obviously I would bond that. I would also bond any metallic workbench he may have in there. I'm assuming that all equipment he uses will have it's own earthing connections. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I am still an improver)

Reply to Hi guys, new member here needing advice on workshop wiring. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock