Discuss hi have a r1 r2 mystery in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi have been doing some testing on a existing light circuit usual methos line /cpc linked at board leads and link lead nulled. come accross a very strange problem regurding a R1 R2 reading

Now measuring between sw live and cpc. rose 1/ 0.47 rose 2/1.15 (2WAY SWITCHING) 3 rose 3/0.51 rose 4/ 0.54 rose 5/1.07 rose6/1.97 (2 WAY SWITCHING)

all connections at rose 2 have been checked, switch connections on 2way switching checked, resistance of the actual switches has been measured and switches replaced as i just just thought it was a bad connection giving a false reading,or a high resistance switch but im still getting a high reading which is impossible as the R1 R2 reading at the next rose in the line is only 0.51. Its very strange as the measurment from loop in at the rose to CPC is fine and is as expectected which scuppered my other theory that this rose had been wired out of sequence.

any ideas any one. Just to add when ZS tested readings as expected which again just makes iot stranger.

Had some similar this week (R1 + R2 of 2.4ish) whereas the "previous" fitting was 0.95, so I disconnected the pendent, fitted a new one and all the readings returned to what I was anticipating to see.

I was doing a CU change so couldn't see what the Zs would have been

Have fun.

hi have been doing some testing on a existing light circuit usual methos line /cpc linked at board leads and link lead nulled. come accross a very strange problem regurding a R1 R2 reading

Now measuring between sw live and cpc. rose 1/ 0.47 rose 2/1.15 (2WAY SWITCHING) 3 rose 3/0.51 rose 4/ 0.54 rose 5/1.07 rose6/1.97 (2 WAY SWITCHING)

all connections at rose 2 have been checked, switch connections on 2way switching checked, resistance of the actual switches has been measured and switches replaced as i just just thought it was a bad connection giving a false reading,or a high resistance switch but im still getting a high reading which is impossible as the R1 R2 reading at the next rose in the line is only 0.51. Its very strange as the measurment from loop in at the rose to CPC is fine and is as expectected which scuppered my other theory that this rose had been wired out of sequence.

any ideas any one. Just to add when ZS tested readings as expected which again just makes iot stranger.

This could also be down to the different lengths of the switch drops, what are your readings like on the P Lives to CPC ?

thats a thought one thing i didnt measure maybe its pendant giving a high reading at that point, what is baffling me is the next pendant is showing a lower reading surely this pendant would also be giving a high reading

readings on lopp lives to cpc are fine all away round the radial and as expected even at rose 2 (problem rose)

whats baffeling me is the high reading at rose 2 (R1 R2 ) between sl and cpc dissapears at the next rose. which seems impossible as all switches closed on circuit. if the reading is on rose 2 it should carry forward to rose 3 reading and so on

Not on 3 plate wiring though mate, the lives are looped at each fitting so you need to take a measurement at evry fitting really, regardless of which rose it is in the circuit, the landing light normally gives the highest reading due to its lengthy 2 way switch wires

the reading of 1.15 is not really a major problem its the fact the next rose is 0.51 which is impossible as the reading of the next rose has to be higher

Why would it ?, as surely the next rose has it's own S/L, unless both on the same switch.

As I said it could be the longer switch drops, and as Widdler said it has to go through two switches on the 2-way circuit.

Last edited:
I'm with Widdler on this one, try bypassing the switch.

the resistance measured at the rose (3) surely cant be lower than rose 2 no matter how long the switch wires are as the resistance measured at rose 3 should include this. if all switches on circuit are switched on

the resistance measured at the rose (3) surely cant be lower than rose 2 no matter how long the switch wires are as the resistance measured at rose 3 should include this. if all switches on circuit are switched on

Yes it can,
think about it,
you have your PL to the rose which you said is fine, then it has to go through the length of the switch cable to the switch, and then through the switch and return back along the switch cable to the lamp connection, so depending on how long the switch cable is will alter your readings.

yes totallly agree spark that the longer the switch run the higher the reading but wouldnt the previous switch run resistance still show if all the switches are in closed postion at the next rose or am i missing something simple here its been along day

yes totallly agree spark that the longer the switch run the higher the reading but wouldnt the previous switch run resistance still show if all the switches are in closed postion at the next rose or am i missing something simple here its been along day
No it wouldn't as your measuring the resistance on the loop and the specific switch run for that pendant. By your way of thinking non of the lights would work if the previous switch in the run was in the off position.

I think you are confusing your switch lives with your permanent lives.

The switch cable may be quite abit longer (bearing in mind the S/L has twice the distance of the run) than the next roses P/L which is only one length of the run (no return).

Each rose normally has it's own S/L unless both roses are switched from the same switch.

Last edited:
Ian,
your S/L's are all only connected to the P/L via the switch cable at one side of each switch, you are effectively measuring your R1 at the other side of each switch at each rose, these are seperated from each other, or else all of your lights would come on together

Reply to hi have a r1 r2 mystery in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock