Discuss Hi i am a newbie after some advice on electricians course (from the begining!) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

az_mk

Hi guys, just thought i would introduce myself, i'm Aaron a 24 year old from milton keynes, hoping for a career change to become an electrician, i am a regually forum go'er so thought i would try this one and see how it goes, now i am after your views:
(flame suit on)
I have been looking around at come "quick fix" courses which offer everything you would need to become an electrician. (so they say!?) i am under no disillusion that this is all i would need, as i understand experiance and know-how is key,
now i would consider myself to be a logical thinking kind of person, hence why i am asking you guys for advice on this matter,
now there is 2 courses i have been looking at in particular all claiming to be the best
the first one has alot of different options:
starting at around 2k
and the second being an 18 month learn at home with practical week blocks etc etc costing just shy of 5k (train4tradeskills)
now forgive me if i am going about this the wrong way, in that case fire me down!
but the reason i have been lookin at courses such as these is becuase i cannot afford an aprentices wage as i have a mortgage and also support my wife, financially (unable to work due to ill health)
any help would be greatly apreciated!

Hi, I went to college 1 day a week C&G 2330 L2 and 3 hoping to get an improvers style position, never got any replies. Luckily the company I used to work for took me back as a freelancer (not electrical though) so I muddle through.

I feel the best way is to get a position as an improver, learning on the job plus college would have been the best way.

I am now waiting for my Elecsa assessment and will then go it alone.

Good luck which ever route you chose.

Hi Aaron,
I have only just joined the board and posted for the first time the other day. Looking through the posts I noticed you are, like myself, from Milton Keynes. I consider myself a novice so I can’t offer you much in the way of advice but in terms of courses I can only tell you what I did. I went on a quick fix course for 4 weeks and came out of it with good quals (see my post on the same board as this one) but only good if going self-employed. Looking at it now I don’t think there is any substitute for the long-haul college courses that give you the good foundation you need to progress in the trade.

I am now looking to do the 2330 Level 2 course at MK College whilst applying for work in MK and surrounding areas. Getting a start is going to be tricky.

Sorry I can’t help a lot but it would be good to stay in touch and let me know what course you choose. Good luck!

David

Reply to Hi i am a newbie after some advice on electricians course (from the begining!) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net