Discuss Grill element in the top of the oven has completely warped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Can you post a picture of it?

It is not uncommon to see a little warping of heating elements but if it shows major damage you should stop using it and look at getting it fixed. In some cases it is simple to replace the element, but you must be able to fully isolate the power first!

Can you post a picture of it?

It is not uncommon to see a little warping of heating elements but if it shows major damage you should stop using it and look at getting it fixed. In some cases it is simple to replace the element, but you must be able to fully isolate the power first!
Thank you for your help. I will attempt to post picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20200412_131228.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20200412_131215.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 46
That is surprisingly bent. Do you know if that is simple heat-induced sagging or has someone managed to physically bend it? I doubt it is any immediate risk, but equally if it were me I would look to replace it.

I can't see from your photos the details of the rear connection but if there are no obvious retaining screws it is probably a plug-in element.

My own oven (NEF from late 80s) is not identical but looks similar, in it you simply pull the element out as the rear part is a plug-in connector arrangement. Other than checking the oven is turned off and element cold there is no significant safety risk in replacing it.

Try an on-line search for your oven make / model to see what the availability of spare parts is like, you might also see a photo of the element on its own which should confirm if it is a plug-in type.

Do not use the oven with it removed though, as you risk getting contamination suck as grease splashes, etc, inside the socket which would be a risk when it is replaced.

That is surprisingly bent. Do you know if that is simple heat-induced sagging or has someone managed to physically bend it? I doubt it is any immediate risk, but equally if it were me I would look to replace it.

I can't see from your photos the details of the rear connection but if there are no obvious retaining screws it is probably a plug-in element.

My own oven (NEF from late 80s) is not identical but looks similar, in it you simply pull the element out as the rear part is a plug-in connector arrangement. Other than checking the oven is turned off and element cold there is no significant safety risk in replacing it.

Try an on-line search for your oven make / model to see what the availability of spare parts is like, you might also see a photo of the element on its own which should confirm if it is a plug-in type.

Do not use the oven with it removed though, as you risk getting contamination suck as grease splashes, etc, inside the socket which would be a risk when it is replaced.
Thanks. Photo of connection

Attachments

• 15866949501794785762887695415750.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 42
Thanks. Photo of connection
That looks like a plug-in type. If you do go to pull it out make sure you try and apply the force evenly close to the connector (i.e. don't just yank the front on the element, but pull on the element close to the rear connection) and without twisting the connector as far as practical.

Probably just holes or alignment pegs. Here is a photo of my grill element's connector once pulled from the oven.
oven-element.jpg
[automerge]1586696468[/automerge]
looks to me like 2 screws screwed in from behind.
A "reasonable force" pull would find out. If it really is not moving then yes, you would need to open the oven to disconnect it from inside which is a whole lot of extra trouble!
[automerge]1586696700[/automerge]
@Johnfyfe What make/model is it? There might be more info on-line about replacing an element.

Last edited:
looks to me like 2 screws screwed in from behind.
Aye I've had a few like that before where the back has to come off and the element plate unscrews from the rear. Can't remember the brand now though.

Probably just holes or alignment pegs. Here is a photo of my grill element's connector once pulled from the oven.
View attachment 57284
[automerge]1586696468[/automerge]

A "reasonable force" pull would find out. If it really is not moving then yes, you would need to open the oven to disconnect it from inside which is a whole lot of extra trouble!
[automerge]1586696700[/automerge]
@Johnfyfe What make/model is it? There might be more info on-line about replacing an element.

That's a new one on me, very interesting. Every element I have ever replaced has been spade connectors onto blades on the back of the element.

Aye I've had a few like that before where the back has to come off and the element plate unscrews from the rear. Can't remember the brand now though.

That's a new one on me, very interesting. Every element I have ever replaced has been spade connectors onto blades on the back of the element.
OK, maybe my experience is very different from the norm! If so replacing is possible but a whole lot more care to make sure things are isolated and everything goes back the right way, etc, is needed.

If you do chose to replace the element then take some photos before disconnecting anything, thay are a very valuable way of checking that things really are back as before.

OK, maybe my experience is very different from the norm! If so replacing is possible but a whole lot more care to make sure things are isolated and everything goes back the right way, etc, is needed.

If you do chose to replace the element then take some photos before disconnecting anything, thay are a very valuable way of checking that things really are back as before.

More probable that my experience is less extensive.

Very good advice I would echo about isolating the power to the appliance and labelling up conductors when replacing the element. :thumbsup:

hi i have been an appliance repairer for 30 years thats a lamona /beko oven the bending is usually caused by the grill being on with door closed causing it to over heat , the outer element is also used when the oven is being used i wouldnt recommend you using it

hi i have been an appliance repairer for 30 years thats a lamona /beko oven the bending is usually caused by the grill being on with door closed causing it to over heat , the outer element is also used when the oven is being used i wouldnt recommend you using it
Thanks, I will attempt to get someone to fix it. Online is saying 2 week delivery time and I imagine it will be tough getting an electrician during lockdown, wife says I am not allowed to replace it.

Thanks, I will attempt to get someone to fix it. Online is saying 2 week delivery time and I imagine it will be tough getting an electrician during lockdown, wife says I am not allowed to replace it.
hi they are very easy to fix make sure the cooker is isolated from the mains supply undo the two screws that hold the element to the top of the oven and allow the element to hang down slide the oven out of the housing and undo the screws that hold the backpanel in place which will expose the wiring you should be able to identify the wiring on the back of the element and take a picture of it the element will be help in by either two screws or some use 7mm or 8 mm nuts some use torx head screws slide the element out from the front reasembly is straight forward , if you let me know the model number i might have the element in stock and i can post one to you

Reply to Grill element in the top of the oven has completely warped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net