Discuss Hi I'm Keiramackenzie - Anyone know what downlight this is and how I change the bulb? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

keiramackenzie

Hi Guys

My mum has had these downlights fitted into her new bathroom, and 1 has blown.....

She got it from Screw Fix, and all the info. isn't helping me determine what sort of method I should use to change the lamp, but it is a Circular Low Voltage Ceiling Downlight 12v...

20141015_200003.jpg

I have researched downlights, the types - the screw lock, the clip etc, but I still cannot find out what sort of lights she has, or how to change the lamp.

What is this - It's not a twist lock one is it? Or Magnetic? I doubt it at the price, and can I replace the bulb without completely removing the housing? Surely that is what the centre ring is for(?)

Any help, as you can see , would be a god send, and help me out greatly

Thanks guys

Keira

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Hi I'm Keiramackenzie - Anyone know what downlight this is and how I change the b

Hi Keira!

It's a 12v diachroic lamp, look in the screwfix catalogue for a MR16 lamp.

If you look there is a spring clip holding the lamp in, you can just see it up against the glass of the lamp, if you flick it out with a screw driver then the lamp will drop down .

Re: Hi I'm Keiramackenzie - Anyone know what downlight this is and how I change the b

Squeeze clip together, clip and lamp should fall out!

Oh High Tower,

Thank you so much. I am indebted.

One thing - please forgive my lack of electrical knowledge! - There is a piece of glass with a small recess above it below the bulb itself - the ring sits on top of it - how do I get to the ring past the glass - do I just carefully aim a flat head where the glass meets the housing, or ?

Thanks again and pls don't hold my naivety against me!

Keira

If your picture is correct, the glass you see is the lamp bulb!

Squeeze clip together, clip and lamp should fall out!

Thanks Murdoch, but how do I get past the glass which sits below the clip?

Keira

Hmm,

I have a lamp or bulb, whatever is the right term, and it definitely has a recess below the bulb itself, covered by glass - the ring is above it so how do I get to the ring?

The picture I got from the screw fix catalogue, so is correct, and I don't know if you can see the glass recess, or whether that is a part of the housing which is attached to the bulb. Either way, I still don't know how to get to the ring.

Thanks guys. You have no idea how much I appreciate your help

K

I think you should post a picky of what you actually have rather than an image off the internet.

20141015_200003.jpg

Here is a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 23

That is a different fitting to the one you posted originally!

?

I have since taken a better photo, and if anyone can actually help me to know how I change the bulb on this thing, i'd be grateful.

20141015_200003.jpg

I know I have to squeeze the clips, but how do I get past the glass?

Thanks guys

This picture shows the recess above the glass - what i'm assuming is a shade - and below the bulb. I just need to know how to squeeze the ring which is behind the glass.

20141015_202155.jpg

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

If the spring retaining clip is behind the glass and not accessible I think you have to prise down the inner round white plate by placing a flat implement in the gap between the inner and outer plates.

Wirepuller,

Thank you for your answer. I think you're right and did wonder if this may be the case. I think I would know pretty quickly if that was the wrong way to go as well.

Thanks, I'm going to try it

Keira

IP rated fitting to keep moisture out. . the bezel round the lamp should clip out of the outer large part of the fitting. a small screwdriver should do it.

snap...

Thanks Telectrix,

I didn't try it as not enough light last night, but am going to try it today, and will post back results.

Keira

Reply to Hi I'm Keiramackenzie - Anyone know what downlight this is and how I change the bulb? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net