Discuss Bought ceiling light online which wire is which? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What we don't see is any provision for connecting a CPC (earth), or any indication that an earth is not required (class 2 symbol).
Connecting this fitting without an earth could be potentially dangerous.
I would suggest you get an electrician to test it and, if it is suitable, to fit it while he is there.

The Class 2 symbol is printed on the driver. The cables "may" be double insulated, but it's not possible to tell from the pic
True but i bet the connection won’t be double insulated.

surely the fitting can’t be classed as double insulated unless there is provision for a double insulated joint.

in my opinion this light is not fit for purpose.

surely the fitting can’t be classed as double insulated unless there is provision for a double insulated joint.

in my opinion this light is not fit for purpose.
Like so many fashion lights, all fur coat and no knickers.

The double insulated symbol is for the driver only the fitting should have a plate stating its construction and other info.

It's impossible to tell as there seems no method of opening the case to inspect further. It may be the case that were you to break into the casing the connector inside has an extra layer of insulation. The whole problem is that we are so used to dodgy light fittings that we tend to distrust them...and rightly so.

This question of light fittings being fit for purpose is something I have been researching. The amazing diversity of construction methods is fascinating, and so far it's clear to me that just a little care and attention to detail could make many fittings safe when they are not so as bought. I don't intend to hijack this thread, but may start a new one for those who are interested.
In this particular case, a rubber bush where the cable enters the fitting, and a clip to provide extra strain relief before the cable enters the driver, would allay my fears. There appears to be a push-fit connector on the incoming cable, and a strain relief clip encircling that would be cheap and easy. If those cables are double insulated then I would probably fit it in my own home. If not, I wouldn't.

I fully agree...but life's not like that. As long as we have retailers selling stuff for amateurs to fit, there will be dodgy stuff out there. If there's no cpc present, the no Class 1 should be fitted, or if the fitting is designed to be Class 2, then it should be "properly" Class 2 and not some pseudo version.

Agreed, earlier you said about inspecting inside the unit, I think if you undid the four nuts on the studs the fitting may fall into sufficient bits to inspect inside, not that I think you will find anything useful. ?

Reply to Bought ceiling light online which wire is which? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net