Discuss Bought ceiling light online which wire is which? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There will be a base plate for that, that may have a parking connector for CPC and may also have a lable relevant to the whole fitting and not just driver module.

Ah, maybe i wasn't clear earlier. I meant inspect inside the driver itself, to view the connection type within.
Some items have a couple of screws each end allowing removal of the cover to get access to where the terminals are situated. However, this driver doesn't, and seems in conformity with many items of Class 2 equipment which are effectively sealed units.

The problem is widespread as there are so many direct from china products available for sale now. Any dodgy stuff I just refuse to fit. Why should I I would waste my time and effort trying to make a product compliant by modifying it, when the manufacturer can't be bothered? Which could then leave me liable if any incidences occur.

Even if I did modify the fitting I would technically then need to ensure it meets the low voltage directive and relevant British standards for luminaires, carry out a product conformity assessment and statement, then submit this information to get approval to CE mark the product I have modified. I would also need to carry out a full compliment of tests, including high current earth testing (min 10A test current) for Class I lights as well as carrying out a high voltage flash test (1.5KV min).

There will be a base plate for that, that may have a parking connector for CPC and may also have a lable relevant to the whole fitting and not just driver module.
Even so there appears to be no effective earth connection to the light fitting itself, say via a link earth lead and the mains conductors appear single insulated, which rules out class II construction.

Another gripe of mine is the lack of a spare terminal on Class 2 stuff where you can neatly "park" an unused cpc, for future use.
Also, while I am a great fan of Quinetc gear, I really dislike the lack of a cpc terminal on the receiver.
I'm just grumpy, I guess...

the mains conductors appear single insulated, which rules out class II construction.
I think they "may" be double insulated, but it's speculation, of course

i have connected a cpc to a light fitting with no provision for one, and didn't feel the need to go for "type approval" but I agree, one should not have to modify the fitting where the manufacturers have failed.

It doesn't matter which way around they are connected, but what is being debated here is whether this fitting is safe to install.
It's a common problem. These 'fashion' lights tend to be cheaply made, and not to acceptable standards.

Reply to Bought ceiling light online which wire is which? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net