Discuss Hi new to the forum! Conduit! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Guest22

I have a question in terms in conduit, In conduit you use all the same size conductors in a circuit for a ring for instance, 2.5mm2 Line, 2.5mm2 Neutral and 2.5mm2 CPC.
Question, in T&E 2.5mm2 you have both line and neutral but CPC 1.5mm2, correct but, would it not be under regs to wire a 32 Amp radial in PVC conduit 4mm neutral and line, and a smaller CSA CPC?
Just a question :)
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question in terms in conduit, In conduit you use all the same size conductors in a circuit for a ring for instance, 2.5mm2 Line, 2.5mm2 Neutral and 2.5mm2 CPC.
Question, in T&E 2.5mm2 you have both line and neutral but CPC 1.5mm2, correct but, would it not be under regs to wire a 32 Amp radial in PVC conduit 4mm neutral and line, and a smaller CSA CPC?
Just a question :)
Cheers

Do you?......CPC's are sized by either selection or calculation regardless of whether part of a cable or in conduit.

If your using singles I would youse same size cables for all

But you don't have to.

To answer the OPs question, yes it would be OK to use a smaller CPC with 4mm singles. The only issue I see with the scenario you've illustrated is that 4mm in conduit is derated to 30amps, so strictly you should not use a 32a protective device.

But you don't have to.

To answer the OPs question, yes it would be OK to use a smaller CPC with 4mm singles. The only issue I see with the scenario you've illustrated is that 4mm in conduit is derated to 30amps, so strictly you should not use a 32a protective device.

Are you using table 4D2A there mate erection method B ?

I would be inclined to use Table 4D1A for single core cable erection method B and that would be the 32 amps for a single phase circuit. But then you would have all sorts of CCC rating calcs also to contend with

i use the same size cpc as is in a twin and earth, ie 1.5 for a ring, 2.5 for a 6mm. why should it be bigger cause its in conduit ? the other guy are right though check you cable ratings and grouping factors when using conduit

Now since , it appears, nobody teaches the rudiments of metal conduit and wiring within such a containment then the chances are that the job will not be done correctly which would leave one up a so called creek without the necessary implements to redirect oneself.

It is normal practice to apply table 54.7 to final circuits and 543.1.3 to those who get off on square roots and strange R2s

I use the conduit as cpc when left to my own devices, especially when working for myself, it saves time, money, you can usually use smaller tube for each run etc. However I always tighten bushes and couplers correctly and use knurled locked rings and silcone grease at every joint.

You get the best R2 reaqdings you could ever hope for!

I always tighten bushes and couplers correctly and use knurled locked rings and silcone grease at every joint.

I was always led to believe that ''silicone grease'' was non-conductive??

Reply to Hi new to the forum! Conduit! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock