Discuss hi people sparky turned scientist back to sparky in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Long time lurker. finally decided to post as my brain is very confused. My situation is family friend really wants me to do his rewire but wants that mates rate. I'm thinking just full stop doing for family and friends as they seem to think its all for free or some dumb price. but at the same time i dont want to ruin relationships. what do you guys do in these situations?

As above tell them you family hourly rate , I personally think £15-20 is perfectly acceptable for family and friends , give them a comprehensive list of everything you need to complete the job and get them to go to TLC (or other wholesalers) and buy it all.
If they accept this arrangement then crack on with the job....

I only do Family/Friend jobs for free as I limit them to simple light fitting changes or similar in a domestic situation or just fault finding help in an industrial setting.
Anything else has in my limited experience (limited by learning quickly) has lead to more trouble or effort than it was ever worth. In short if it's not worth doing don't do it.

thanks to be honest im leaning towards not doing it for the another family members job. Ill ask what quotes my friend got as its been a week and a half since i told him my quote

spoke to my mate hes got a quote for the house to be completely rewired for 2.5k from another person. So i told him just to go with him as i can't beat that price. i could take pictures after and post an update after if you guys want.

The other family job i feel is more complicated because im located in northamptonshire they live in patringotn it will a weekend away job or longer depends on the results of testing. part 1

part 3
Would i charge for just fuel or fuel and travel time as its about 140 miles 3hr journey one way, in addition to the hourly rate. do i do the same again tell them my charge and advise them to get it done by a local as it will probably be cheaper?
thanks barry

part 3
Would i charge for just fuel or fuel and travel time as its about 140 miles 3hr journey one way, in addition to the hourly rate. do i do the same again tell them my charge and advise them to get it done by a local as it will probably be cheaper?
thanks barry
Yes I'd say to get someone local. I can make a few recommendations if you like ?

Are you trading as a Sparky with membership of a Scheme and full Insurance cover?

If not, tell them you're not registered and not insured so can't do the work, but to be helpful you could look over any quotes they get.

thanks for replys again Andy ill call them up and send a quote and if they want others ill pm you.

snowhead not part of a scheme but have insurance under my dads company but they know that already

and remedial that's what im trying to avoid doing it too cheap beacuse then everyone will want that relative or family friend that does work for basically free.

I might from now go with davids way of doing it, free advice and only the most basic alterations.
thanks everyone for the suggestions

always charge family and friends extra because always turns out to be grief and more than likely end in tears and no favours in bussiness if boot on other foot would they do you any favours i think not?

Reply to hi people sparky turned scientist back to sparky in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock