Discuss Hiding wiring in doorframe in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

olbasoil

DIY
Reaction score
I am having a complete rewire done in a just purchased house where we have plans for changes. One change we may/will be making is to combine the bathroom & toilet, and move the doorframe to add a bit of landing space into the new bathroom. The landing already has a solar cable running in pvc trunking down from attic into garage in the space where the new doorframe will go (opposite to hinges).

The electrician advised me that I could tuck the solar wire into the space behind the doorframe (I have yet to move the doorframe to check whether such a space exists) and it would be classed as a safe zone because it is within 150mm of a right angle in the wall

Is he correct that the safe zone continues to include the new doorframe?

We have been unable to say exactly when/whether we will be moving the doorframe, and his brief was to allow us maximum flexibility in either scenario. It was a surprise when an extra cable appeared alongside the solar cable (which we agreed was a poor quality installation) and now this seems to become three extra cables. If we don't move the doorframe, then presumably a new chase will have to be cut within the safe zone. I don't think we would be happy with a wide PVC conduit in the middle of the landing.

I feel a little sneaky posting this. I have been very impressed with him, but am worried that this part of the installation is wrong.IMG20220727185010.jpg

TL;DR
Can these wires go behind doorframe?
Last edited by a moderator:
We don’t tend to do it, unless it’s inbetween the studwork of the wall and not directly behind the finished wood of the doorframe.
A joiner is likely to screw hinges or whatever right through the wood into the cables.

Can they be protected someway?

We don’t tend to do it, unless it’s inbetween the studwork of the wall and not directly behind the finished wood of the doorframe.
A joiner is likely to screw hinges or whatever right through the wood into the cables.

Can they be protected someway?
I think this is a solid wall, and the proposal is that there won't be a chase cut. Wires will simply be tucked behind the frame after the joiner (who is probably me!) moves the door frame. My preference would be for a new chase (though the frame will have to be fitted knowing the wires are buried behind) or a new route. That will probably meet with some resistance by the electrician, so I'm trying to gather some evidence that the current proposal is either not compliant or bad practice. I'm not absolutely sure how he is intending to finish this, but I suspect it is within trunking for me to move if/when the doorframe is moved.

If you are merging the bathroom & toilet, which would likely involve adjustments to the wall, can the cables not just go into a new bit of stud wall? Obviously they need to be located in an appropriate postion, or moved later to suit.

A bit more difficult with the cables in situ.
Expecting to cut a chase into brickwork with the cables there won’t be easy, and if you damage one of those cables…..

Ideally, I would reroute if possible.

If you are merging the bathroom & toilet, which would likely involve adjustments to the wall, can the cables not just go into a new bit of stud wall? Obviously they need to be located in an appropriate postion, or moved later to suit.
No adjustments to that bit of solid wall. The doorframe to the toilet (which you can see a bit of behind the loft ladder) will simply move forward to where the cables are running.
Whether we do this or not depends on cost (of removing the hot water cylinder, and whether the wall between the toilet & bathroom is load bearing). We can't decide for a week or so, but the electrician is due to finish in a couple of days. So there are two scenarios:

1) We move the doorframe (and I'm worried that will make the cables non-compliant if we tuck them behind the doorframe)
2) We keep the current arrangement, and I'm concerned that we're left with trunking in a very obvious place.

There is a range of trunking by D-Line which has a curvey profile. I've used it to great effect along the top of skirting boards, but I'm not sure I'd like a floor to ceiling run of it.

The third scenario is you ask the electrician to move the cables to a more sensible location (the safe zone rule really does require some common sense and I would say putting the cables behind the door frame is an idea that is sadly lacking the aforementioned sense). An airing cupboard perhaps? Or alternatively, you live with a bit of trunking until you decide what you're going to do with the door and then have someone more amenable to your request carry out the work to move all the cables.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Hiding wiring in doorframe in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net