Discuss high beam fuse problems in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I have a recently new to me 2008 Volvo xc70. After a day or so I noticed the main (high) beam wasn't working. At first I suspected blown lamps so I inspected and they seemed fine. Replaced fuse and all was good for a day, fuse blew again. Replaced lamps as a next step and replaced fuse. Lasted a day again. Initially it works fine, I even left the high beam on for 10 mins or so. Then when I came to use it the next day the fuse instantly blew, as if a short.

Yesterday I unplugged the lamps from the holder and replaced the fuse. Again, lasted a day or so.

The confusing bit is, if it was a short or earth fault id imagine it to be happening straight away, not work initially then randomly blow the fuse.

I'm abit stumped now. I'm thinking maybe I should investigate the relay?

any help would be appreciated

Could be an intermittent short. I once repaired a Sierra which was blowing a fuse but only intermittently. Had been in garage twice but still not cured. Eventually traced it (by spiking the suspect wire and leaving a continuity tester connected between that and earth whilst doing the wiggle test) to inside the two skins of the rear of the car where over the years the wiring harness had been rubbing against the metal work. It had gone through the harness tape and then through the insulation of the wire - every so often it would make contact and blow the fuse.

Took me nearly a full day to track that down. Had to remove driver's seat and various bits of trim, carpet etc.

can't se it being a relay. more likely as DPG says. intermittent short on the wires from relay to lamps. orrrrr...have there been any spots fitted. coming on with high beam?

Unlikely to be the relay, although not impossible. Very easy to swap it out to prove though. Or get it on the bench and set it up with a feed to the coil, and some sort of load (lamp etc.) through the contacts.

It's not an old vehicle (2008)

I don't think there is any additional spots added or any other adjustments/additions.

When it does work the relay does sound fairly loud

As it is new to you , has it got the correct bulbs in , or cheap tatty replacements?

Also go onto the Gov site and check the MOT history of failures to see if this is an ongoing problem . You may of bought a known ongoing fault.

I've seen a lot of fuse failures caused by poor quality lamps and holders . it is quite common . especially helped out by corrosion.

Reply to high beam fuse problems in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock