Discuss High Level PIR floods in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DjSparkos

Got a security install to do and they want the flood lights mounted high level on poles. Can anyone tell me where I can source poles and the appropriate fixings from? Or am I just looking at getting down the scaffold yard.... Advice would be great, ta.

I wouldn’t use scaffold poles. No where near strong enough.
Look on Google for lighting towers, you get a lot of portable towers unfortunately but I found a few fixed tower manufacturers.

The mounting height is only going to be about 3m. Standard PIR with 12m range should suffice I think. Thanks for the link though, good to know a manufacturer of long range PIR. The setting is a farm. Ta for the other links, quite expensive for those lighting columns. May end up mounting them on old re-treated telegraph poles about 7" diameter 24ft and cut them to desired height, with footings and concrete base. If that sounds strange, any other ideas are appreciated. The telegraph poles are only about £3 a foot.

The mounting height is only going to be about 3m. Standard PIR with 12m range should suffice I think. Thanks for the link though, good to know a manufacturer of long range PIR. The setting is a farm. Ta for the other links, quite expensive for those lighting columns. May end up mounting them on old re-treated telegraph poles about 7" diameter 24ft and cut them to desired height, with footings and concrete base. If that sounds strange, any other ideas are appreciated. The telegraph poles are only about £3 a foot.

Exactly why i asked !
That would be your best bet , we always do it that way on farm's .
You make want to think about leaving them a bit higher and mounting a son / halide flood at the top as well seeing as you will already have a supply out there for the halogens , we find that farmers love all the cheap light they can get .

If you don't mind me asking have you discussed just puting up a 70w son on a dusk - dawn instead , i only say this because we light probably 10 -15 farm yards a year and have slowly come to chose this way over pir's as :
1 The sensors can not be pushed up in the day time or the night before when checking the place out prior to the raid , a little trick they have learnt around our way.
2 If they do set of the lights and no one comes then they know they have carte blanch and really go to town , all with the help of the added light !
3 If the light is on all the time they never really do know if there is a hairy arsed farmer lurking behind his curtains with them in his cross hairs !!!!

Ha ha, I like your thinking, very helpful. To be more specific it's a private home (very big) with alot of land surrounding (electric gates to enter), she has horse paddocks and stables etc. but she never works out there at night and there is no access issues for workers etc. Mainly just has problems with her ex partner. We've rigged up 10 cctv cameras round the property too so the light is really just to supplement those and give a bit of the scare factor (even though cameras are IR). Photocell is a good idea though, I'll have to suggest it to her. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I’d go down the dusk till dawn sensor rout. No where near as much trouble as PIR’s

I did think of old telegraph poles but wasn’t to sure about the availability now. I used them for a bowling green about 20 years ago. Using club members a labour was great, one worked for BT so we got the poles for free (and delivered), firemen put the poles up and mounted the lamps, lecy board cable jointer got the cable. We only bough the lights and I got them cheap through the company I worked for!

Reply to High Level PIR floods in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net